Part 8: You Could Be Mine

..............................................................

"Checkmate!" Steven threw his arms up into the air. I picked up my King and shook my head.

"The bishop only moves diagonally idiot." I pushed his piece back with two fingers. He stared at me furiously.

"I don't play chess." He messed up the board to get a reaction out of me. I just sighed and leaned back against the foot of the couch.

"That took us an hour." I grumbled.

"Fuck that shit." He laughed while lighting another cigarette. My apartment was officially a chimney. The boys do nothing but smoke or drink, and sometimes at the same time.

"I was just trying to culture you." I put away the board back into its box.

I got up and left Steven to his own devices to put the box into my bottom dresser drawer. I stuffed it in then slammed the drawer shut. On my right laid Duff half nude, only in a pair of gray briefs. He turned his head towards me and smiled sleepily.

"Good morning." Duff said softly.

"Evening," he got up to grab me. He took me under the sheets as I tried my best to escape his grasp. Finally I just gave up and curled up next to him. I lied my head against his naked chest as he cradled me. He closed his baby blues while still holding me. That was until Izzy came barging in.

"Stevie," he whispered loudly. I glanced at Duff, who was still napping, then looked back up at Izzy.

"What?" I whispered.

"Get up."

"What, why?"

"Less questioning more up." He seemed very impatient for my questions.

"Fine, fine." I tried not ruffling the covers as much as I could. Duff took one of my pillows instead and turned over to his left. Izzy snatched my hand as soon as I hopped out. He rushed me out of the whole apartment and even shut the door by himself. "What do you want?" I rubbed my eyes.

"We have a big problem."

"Oh no, who died?" I was not ready for his explanation.

"We ran out of weed."

"Ugh, serves you guys right for doing nothing but sitting around here." I fetched myself from Izzy's grasp.

"Dude, it was William's."

"That's not my problem!"

"What's not?" Will walked over next to us with his hands in the pocket of his jean's. We both froze in freight.

"Um," Izzy licked his lips. "Duff took your stash, bye!" Izzy grabbed my hand again, then flew off.

"That bastard!" Will knocked open the door. "Where are you two going?" He leaned his head out of the doorway.

"Dinner," Izzy nervously answered.

"Bring back some Thai." William went back inside to kill Duff. Izzy kept guiding me out of the complex.

"You better have money, because I am not paying." I crossed my arms.

"But I always pay!" He whined.

"You never pay, you don't even pay for the laundry."

"I pay in entertaining your ass." He mumbled.

"Hey, I never said you had to take me along on your little journey." I snapped at him

"Have I ever told you how incredibly annoying you are?" Izzy crossed his arms like mine.

"Nope," I took his hat off of his head and put it on. "Follow me loser." I started walking across the middle of the street. Izzy followed shortly behind.

We ended up in an old record store down the block. I hadn't gone before, but Izzy seemed quite at home. We spent an hour there messing around. I never really hung out with Izzy. He was always focused on his music and I, well everybody else. Duff and I usually spent mornings together, then Will and I would go out for a night on the town. By bedtime, Saul and I would crash on the sofa. We were all too confrontable with each other.

"How's the album going?" I asked him as we window shopped down Sunset Strip.

"Eh, maybe if William would get off of his ass once in awhile we will have it finished by 2000." We both chuckled. He was actually a pretty funny guy, someone you could really talk to. He would listen to almost anything you'd say. Sure his charm was impeccable, and his attitude would never waver. But, he didn't need that. He only needs to smile.

"Why don't we talk?" He looked down at me.

"Well maybe I'll have to squeeze you into my schedule now. Sorry though, I'm booked all month." I pouted.

"Gosh, I keep forgetting about you being an international super-star." He chuckled. "How could you ever have time for a normal small town boy like me?"

"I always do." I smirked sweetly.

"Be careful with those words of yours sweetheart, it may get you on trouble."

"I can handle my own, darling."

We kept walking at the same pace. We chatted back and forth down the strip. Our hands slowly intertwined. He didn't mind. He walked me back to the apartment. The lights were all out. Will lied on the couch with Saul. I guessed Duff and Steven were in my bed. Izzy looked at me in the dark, we still held hands. He was the last person I would ever think to be here, standing there with arms crossed, by me. He is the quiet sensitive type. A man of which I had never experienced up close. Only one thing bounced uncontrollably through my head. A question I rarely ever asked my impulsive nature:

What the fuck was I doing?

..............................................................

"It don't matter how we make it, 'cause it always ends the same" You Could Be Mine by Guns N' Roses