chspter 12: two weeks gone

I picked up the bag of take out from the backseat of my truck and carried it in while my free hand gripped Finn's tightly. her free hand pressed tightly against my stomach and pulled my t-shirt into her fist.

we walked into the house and I dropped the food on the counter and began to pull the food out when Finely pressed her lips against my neck.

my fingers unraveled from the boxes and tangled into her hair.

"we can't," I moaned against her kiss.

"why not?"

"you leave tomorrow," I explained, "you've already postponed the flight like three times."

"Jonathan Bryan Toews," she whispered.

"Finely Ellis Austin," I growled back.

we stumbled back against the counter. the kitchen lights illuminating the way my hands pressed against her.

the hours passed on. we stayed helplessly in the same spot. i could've stayed in that moment forever. it was the last time I'd hold her in my arms for a while. i watched as the light shot through the diamond she wore on her finger. the diamond I put there.

"I love you," she gasped.

"I love you too, babygirl."

as we said our final goodbyes the sun came up. alarms went off and she rushed to get ready. pulling on jeans and a hawks hoodie of mine I watched her climb into a cab and head for the airport. out of my life until season was over.

my heart beat violently inside of my chest, breaking into pieces as I got ready for practice. she was everywhere.

I played through practice, and every one after, with her on my mind. the day's turned to weeks, hazy drunken weeks.

"Jon," Kane yelled from across the locker room.

"yes?" I asked.

"she's been gone for how long now?" he questioned me.

"two weeks. two weeks too long."

"don't you think it's time to start looking for someone to keep you company while Finn's in Dallas working for the enemy."

I looked up at Patrick with hate in my eyes. his mouth dropped at the sight of me. "dude I'm sorry," he apologized, "I was just kidding!"

"yeah well don't!" I growled in anger.

"so when are you supposed to see her?" he asked.

"I'm flying down Monday. go to a Stars game. see sharpie play," I responded.

"is she excited?"

"I'd like to think so. I know it hasn't been long but it's two weeks away from the woman I'm going to marry. it hurts!"

"so lover boy. when will you be back?" he asked.

I started to answer when her name came across my phone screen. the words she sent sending me into turmoil. "I'm not even leaving," I spoke through my teeth.

"what?" they asked in confusion. 

"I'm not going. she just text me saying I can't come down. no apology. no explanation."

I picked up my bag and shoved my phone into my pocket. the boys called after me but I stormed out of the locker room and to my car. she doesn't want to see me.

authors note: I apologize for the awfulness of the last few chapters. I'm in a bit of a slump but don't worry. it'll be getting back on track soon! -