15. family and acceptance

LUKE

"So how did the both of you meet?"

Minutes later I found myself seating beside Leila on a furry sofa, the very first question thrown at me the one I'm dreading the most. I didn't even had the chance to flatter myself in front of her parents.

As I think of an answer I can't help but notice that Leila's mom is an exact duplicate of her, except she has brown wavy hair. Leila has straight hair and is blonde, which is probably dyed, that I don't know. Her dad looks much laid back and I can tell that we're going to get along well. At least, that's what I hope so.

I bit my lip, the honest answer coming to mind. It's not very cool to lie to her parents because one, it isn't a good thing and two, honesty is the best policy. I might as well reveal the truth as soon as possible.

"I'm one of her professors. We met last year on the first day of classes." I managed to answer without stuttering. But did I sound confident enough? I don't know.

Well, I also didn't know her mom's eyebrow can get higher than it already is. "Is that so?"

"Yes, ma'am." I flashed my dimpled smile at her. I was told that it was charming a lot of times, so let's see if that will work today.

"How old are you?" her father asked.

"Twenty one, sir."

"An almost four year age gap. You must be a college student, correct?" I nodded and continued looking at them alternatively. "A graduating student then. What subject do you teach in training?"

"Math, sir."

I saw her mom perk up from my peripheral vision, her face frowning in distaste. "I can feel myself getting more and more humiliated each passing second."

We all looked at her, a little lost. She didn't do anything wrong nor did we. "You're supposed to please us, Luke, I am aware of that. But I see every reason why you don't have to, because I know for sure that our daughter sucks in your subject."

Her dad and I immediately laughed at what she just said. I almost died of too much laughter that I became as red as a ripe tomato with tears in the corner of my eyes. I just can't stop laughing!

"I- haha um- hahaha wait a minute," I covered my face with my hands to calm myself down. Okay, I don't want to seem disrespectful to them so I looked back up with a calmer expression. "Okay. Uh, so, yeah. But she did a great job in her final exams. She got a B." I looked at Leila and the sides of her eyes were crinkling. She must be happy that I defended her.

"Well that's definitely pleasing to the ears," someone from behind us suddenly spoke. I turned around to see a very familiar guy leaning on the wall with a smirk on his face. I feel like I've seen him before. But I can't seem to remember where. Where was it?

"Kellin!" Leila ran to his direction and jumped like what she usually does to me whenever we're left alone inside the room. A sudden twinge of jealousy shoots through me, but I am aware I have no right to be so I just stared at the two.

"I got a B in my math exam! Did you hear that?! I passed! I kicked ass!"

He laughed and slowly put Leila down, a huge grin on his face. "I knew you can do it because my blood runs within your veins."

"No, it was because of Kendall being a good tutor! You twat!" she snorts and waves a hand dismissively at him.

"Don't even start it with me or else I'm going to take your clothes without your permission and give it away to our fans during sign events!" he laughed evilly and pushed Leila back to our direction, him following behind her.