18. graduation and goodbyes

Today is the day Leila will finally graduate high school. Most of her classmates are at the salon, having their hair styled up and having their nails done in different designs and colors. Most of them are proud of themselves, all-smiley on this faithful day. Because let us be honest, not many students graduate high school because they want to. Some actually graduate with the use of bribing professors to make their grades higher, or because they need to graduate just for the approval of their family. In Leila's case, neither of those things apply. Leila was not thinking of graduating or entering university at all, months before she got to know her professor. Learning that her math professor, Luke Hemmings, worked hard during his high school, graduated with honors and is currently working on having a pretty amazing life and career, she knew that she had to work hard as well.

She realized that she shouldn't rely on her older brother, Kellin to give her all her needs for the rest of her life, just because she doesn't feel like working her ass off. In this case, she's already applied in her target university online and she's already got a ticket to fly to Paris as soon as possible. She's going to start to fulfill her dreams of being a fashion designer or a famous model. She may not have the good grades, but she will definitely work on it this time.

Leila sighs as she look at her reflection in the mirror. She had her long blonde hair cut up to her shoulders and did a simple braid in both sides. She felt like not dressing up in today's event because she has no one to impress and she feels like she doesn't have to. After all, she just has to go up on stage and recite some pledge about making their alma mater proud. After that, she'll spend the day with her and Kendall's family and she's off to Paris the very next day.

She booked the soonest flight so that she can get away from Luke and their problems. What does she know about solving a relationship? All she did in the past was flirt with whoever was willing. The same goes for the workaholic Luke, having zero girlfriends before because he knew he had to work on his career first. What does the both of them know about love? Nothing. That's why running away or avoiding the problem seems like the most ideal way to deal with it for now. They know they should solve it, but today is surely not the day to do it.

A knock on the door makes Leila snap out of her thoughts, and she turns to find Kendall leaning on the door frame. "It's about time we go to school, yeah? The program will start in half an hour."

Leila takes a look at herself one last time before following her best friend downstairs with a heavy heart and a troubled mind.

-

LEILA

"...let us thank everyone who has contributed to this successful journey. To those who have been instrumental to what we have become as a person after our stay in our school, we express our gratitude.

To the graduates, wherever you go, go with all your heart. Spread your wings and fly out to explore in pursuit of your goals.

Congratulations to all of you! May god bless us all in the world of new dreams and aspirations. Good luck and congratulations, once again!"

The school directress ended her speech swiftly, and every student clapped with pride. Her speech had been all about how proud she was of the number of graduates we have this year, and how most of us rocked the school year. I sighed. No matter what I distract myself with, I still have this sinking feeling that I can't seem to put aside.

The boring program goes on until someone shouted. "Alright, who wants to throw their caps in the air?!" the person, who I recognize was the overall valedictorian of the graduates, asked through the mic and everyone suddenly hooted.

I find myself grinning, eagerly removing the hairpins in my head that keeps my cap in place. Finally holding my cap, I see Kendall near the front row also looking my way. We all count down to three, my heart beating fast. After this will be our much awaited freedom. I glance at my family seated in the side, and kellin was holding the camera focusing it on me.