Chapter nine

I gasped and sat up. Gordon was over me with his hand pressed against my forehead. When he saw me get up, his eyes lit up.

"Red, you're alive," he said as he hugged me tight. I hugged him back and said, "Did ya think I was gone?"

He started purring, odd. "Yes! Omg I thought I lost you! I love you Red."

"I love you too Cosmo."

He pushed me away from him and gave me a funny look. "My name is Gordon, not Cosmo."

"Oh! Sorry; it reminded me of what he said when I last saw him..."

He looked away in jealousy muttering under his breath, "At least that's one of us."

I grabbed his hand. "Come on champ."

He smiled and helped me to my feet. He held out a plate of wild blackberries to me. I snatched the plate from him and wolfed down the berries realizing how hungry I was. I wiped berry juice from my mouth. "Thanks Gordon."

"Anything for you Red."

We only walked for a few minutes before ran into trouble. There was another pack of microwolves a few feet away from us. Gordon grabbed me closer to him.

"Don't make any sound or sudden movement; they might not-" A little micropup looked at us with curiosity.

"Shoo, go away," I told it softly. Unfortunately, it took a that as an insult and wailed as loud as it can. The other wolves looked at us and growled viciously. I unsheathed my dagger, and Gordon turned into a beautiful wolf. The little wolves attacked with such force that I couldn't keep up. Gordon was slicing wolves left and right—until the leader came and jumped on him.

"No!" I screamed as Gordon and the leader fell off the cliff. I ran and looked over to see that he had changed back to a human, standing on a ledge that could break with any move he made. The leader was at the bottom, dead. I knelt over the cliff and held my hand out for Gordon.
"Gordon, grab my hand, I'll pull..." What I saw next, I was lost for words. Gordon jumped off the ledge to his death, but he didn't crash down to join the leader; he opened up the wings I never thought he had and flew to where I was kneeling. He landed next to me and smiled.

"Hey, I'm alive," he said.

All I did was give him a shocked look.

"What?"

"What?! 'What' is all you give me after I thought you were gonna die...why-wha-why..." I turned away from him in fury. I was so mad at that I punched him in the jaw, breaking my hand in the process.

"Ow!" Gordon screamed while holding his jaw. I favored my injured hand trying to pinpoint where to hit Gordon next. He quickly dashed to my pack, and he scurried around until he found my touch-senser. He opened it up and dropped one drop on his jaw. The bruise that was on it healed up in a flash! He had a drop on his finger as he came towards me.

"Hold out your hand," he ordered. I did, and he dropped it on my hand; the pain, swelling, and bruising went away. I felt the broken bone mend itself. I looked at him.

"So that's what it does?" I asked.

"It's pretty obvious," he responded. I stepped on his foot with all my strength. He howled and hopped on his uninjured foot.

"That hurts," he whimpered. I rolled my eyes and walked away, not waiting for him to catch up.

Later that night Gordon and I stopped and rested under a group of trees for the night. Gordon laid cross from me. He smiled softly; that smile that made me like him even more.

"I'm glad you were worrying about me back there. When we started this journey, I felt like you didn't give a rat's tail about me," he said. I crawled over to him and rested my head on his chest. He wrapped his arms around me instinctively while slowly stroking my hair.

"I've always cared about you Gordon; it's just in the beginning it bothered me that I did care. Now I cared because I love you so much," I said, looking into his beautiful light green eyes. He smiled and gave me a peck on the lips. Sparks flew as I crawled back over to where I slept. The soft small kiss wanted to make me scream out loud, but I couldn't or I would wake up sleeping beauty. I closed my eyes and slept in a dreamless sleep.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
We woke up in the morning ready to set out to the mountain. Gordon smiled at me as he stood on the ground.

"I'm ready when you my love," Gordon said all dressed and looking handsome as usually. I laughed and jumped from the tree. He grabbed my hand and we continued on our quest.