Ch 24 - The Weekend (Part 2)

Chapter 24 - The Weekend (Part 2)

Riding the horse back to the house after riding a certain someone else, was not fun. It was mainly uncomfortable because my knickers had been ripped beyond return and couldn't be worn, not to mention the deep ache in my thighs made it hard to even stay upright.

But I managed, and when I returned the horse to the stables, I made sure to give the saddle a good thorough wipe with a wet wipe from my handbag. I looked over my shoulder nervously when I scrubbed it, how mortifying would it be if someone caught me?

One of the downsides to unprotected sex that nobody tells you about - what goes up, must come down.

Thank god, I was finished just before one of the stable guys came in. I palmed the horse off to him and trudged back up to the house.

Now that I'd told Rhys I was leaving I decided it was time to tell Ruby, I wanted her to find out from me and not him. Making my way up to the house where I'd find Ruby, felt a lot like walking the plank. Long and dooming.

I entered the side door that connected to the kitchen, the house seemed quiet, I didn't know what time it was but it must by late by now. I made sure to close the door gently, it was bad enough that I'd be branded a liar by tomorrow, I didn't want to be the cause of everyone being tired too.

"You don't have to sneak, Honey. Once people are asleep in this house, they are dead to the world." a voice in the darkness chuckled.

My heart leaped and I spun away from the door to find the voice, stood near the oven was Ava in a fluffy pink dressing gown, hair pinned back - clearly ready for bed.

"What a freight!" I gasped and clutched my chest, I stood awkwardly while Ava lifted out what must've been the biggest turkey I've ever seen from the oven. She placed it on the top of the stove and began to gather up the juices with a big spoon and pour it over the turkey. After doing that for five times she put the big bird back in the oven.

"Well, sit down." She motioned towards one of the old wooden chairs at the table. My eyes darted nervously between the chair and the door, I wasn't really up for a midnight heart to heart with Rhys' mum, especially since we weren't friends right now. At least, I'm assuming that we've fallen out, riding off into the night while leaving me stranded in a place I don't know doesn't exactly scream friendship, does it? I'm going with no.

"Sit, sweetheart." Ava's firm voice pulled my thoughts away from Rhys, I sighed quietly before resigning myself to the fact that heart to hearts most also come in three's, along with bad news or bad luck.

I moved towards the table and perched myself on the edge of the chair, ready to make a swift escape if needed. I chewed the inside of my lip awkwardly and avoided eye contact, why was I here again?

Ava eased herself down into the chair opposite me and studied me, I tilted my head and frowned wondering what on earth she was looking for.

"Y'all have a fight?" She inquired.

My face had a mind of it's own, without my saying so, my eyes went wide and my brows went high. Ah yes, classic poker face, giving me away since 1995. The age I attempted lying, also the year I found out I was a failure at lying.

"He came bowling through here like a bull in a china shop 'bout an hour ago, figured it must've been something real bad to anger him that much?" Her voice ended on a high inquisitive note as she eyed my expectantly, digging for answers.

"Hmm, maybe." I answered reluctantly.

"You don't have to confirm, a mother knows." Ava winked and got up to go to the sink. Okay this conversation has left off from slightly awkward and taken a turn for oh my god please let me leave.