Playing Spies

(Y/F/N) = Your Friend's Name

"I wish Daddy took me out for fwosties..." Gabby pouts, crossing her arms over her chest, jealous of her brother for having that experience with their dad.

Ethan chuckles, "Trust me, Gabs, it's not as exciting as you think it is."

"Why doesn't Daddy like us, Ethan?"

The older of the two remains silent, not really sure how to answer his sister's question, before flipping to the next page. "Hey, I've got a story for this one," He says, pointing to a photograph of him as a toddler with this girl.

"Who's that?" Gabby asks, referring to the girl in the picture and forgetting about her question.

"That's Janie. Mom's friend's daughter. She's a little older than me."

"Mom's friend's daughter?" She repeats, tilting her head back to look up at him.

He nods his head, "You know, Aunt (Y/F/N)'s daughter." Gabby nods her head in understanding as Ethan stares at the pictures, reminiscing, "She and I used to do everything together..."

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

You're sitting outside with your friend under the shade of the awning that covered her patio, relaxing as you watch Janie and Ethan run around the backyard, playing spies.

"I'm telling you, (Y/N), that right there is the start of a beautiful relationship," Your friend tells you, motioning to your two children.

"Oh my god, (Y/F/N), he's barely three years old!" You laugh, picking up your glass of lemonade and taking a sip. You set it back down on the small table in between the two of you and heave a sigh, "And anyways, even if they were to get together...sure, it'd be cute, but don't you think it'd be a little weird too? Having our kids date? Knowing they'd be..." Your voice trails off, but your friend knows exactly what you mean.

She scoffs, "I'm sorry, I didn't even think about that because my heads not always in the gutter like yours is. I was just thinking about the adorable shit. You know, like having their first date, going to prom together, buying a dog together, getting married!"

You shake your head, "Look, he's not even three yet. I don't want to think about him getting married for a long long time."

Ethan hides behind the tree, putting the toy walkie-talkie up to his mouth and pressing the call button, "Beast Boy to Starfire. Over."

"Are targets in view? Over," Janie's muffled voice sounds through the speaker of the walkie talkie.

"Targets are in view. Over."

"Come to base and get your gun. Starfire out."

Ethan gets up from sitting on the ground and peers around the tree, seeing you and your friend still on the patio. A childish grin stretches across his face before he runs over to the swing set, climbing up the little rock wall and into the clubhouse where Janie was sitting, messily filling up water guns with a pitcher of water she had somehow sneaked past her mother.

Janie looks up at Ethan and grins, "Since this is your first time, I'm gonna give you a few pointers."

"What are pointers?" Ethan inquires, sitting down and crossing his legs.

"Tips."

"Like what Mommy always tells Daddy to leave at westerwants?"

"No," Janie shakes her head, "Not that kind of tip. It's a different kind of tip." Ethan stares at her, completely baffled. The seven year old sighs, "Never mind. Just listen to me, okay?" The younger of the two nods his head as the older finishes filling the water gun in her hands. "Alright, you see our mommies out there? " Ethan nods his head again. "They're spies for the other guys."

"Oh no!" Ethan exclaims, his jaw dropping as he smacks his cheeks with his hands, smushing his face in so that he looks like a fish, "Not the other guys!"

"Yes. I know. It's hard to understand. But they do and that's why we need to need to take them out." She hands him the water gun that's almost too big for him to even hold. "Do you know how to use it?"

"Uh..."

"You do it like this," Janie remarks, aiming the end of his water gun at one of the balls that was left out in the yard and pulling the trigger. A stream of water expels from the nozzle and hits the ball, rolling it farther away. Janie looks back at Ethan and asks, "Got it?" He nods his head. "Okay, now that that's covered, we've got to talk about strategy."

"Strata-what?"

"Strategy. How we're going to take our mommies out. We've got to be sneaky and quick, Beast Boy. We run up to them, shoot, and run away."

"Run up to them, shoot, and run away," Ethan repeats, taking the playfully harmless weapon into his possession, "Got it."

"Good," Janie pulls out a pair of Disney Princess sunglasses out from behind her and slid them onto her face, "You ready, Beast Boy?"

"Ready, Starfire."

"Go!"

Janie and Ethan glide down the slide one after the other and run across the yard, hiding behind a few things before exposing themselves and spraying you and your friend. The two of you shriek as the kids laugh, continuing to soak your clothing and hair.

"Stop! Please!" You cry, putting your hands up in a pathetic attempt to keep yourself dry.

"Janie, I thought your dad told you no more water guns!" Your friend exclaims, doing the same thing as you.

"No, he said no water guns inside," Janie retorts sassily, her water gun running out of water. "Oh crap." Your friend's daughter looks up at her mom who rises up from her chair, dripping wet. "RUN, ETHAN! RUN!"

You and your friend chase after the kids who abandon their weapons and try to outrun their parents.