Chapter 8: Simple as A,B,C

ALISON

"Mrs.Fields,can we please come in?" a police officer asked Pam as she stood in the doorway,visibly shaken. I was sat on the stairs with Aria ,listening to the conversation that was unfolding.The police believed that Charles had kidnapped Emily to lure me to him.

"They think it's my fault" I whispered to Aria.

"No they don't,they just think you're the real target,not Emily"she replied..

"You know,that theory doesn't calm me down in the slightest" I frowned.

"Sorry".

Pam led the officers into the living room and turned to us.

"Don't worry girls,we'll find her.Emily will be home soon" she reassured us.

"We should be the ones reassuring her" I sighed as we headed up the stairs to Emily's room.We opened the door,and gasped in horror.On the bed someone had placed a dummy,with a mask of Emily's face on it.As we walked closer,Aria pointed out a note,taped to the dummy's stomach.She ripped it off and unfolded it.

"Like every single one of you,she's a dead girl walking.It's as simple as A,B,C.-Charles".

"What does Charles mean by A,B,C?" I asked Aria.

"How would I know?" she answered.

Charles was gonna kill Emily,if I didn't come find him.But if I came to find him,would I be next?Was he going to kill us all anyway?Were all our efforts futile?Would Charles dictate to us for the rest of our lives?

"I can't do this anymore" I sobbed.

"Alison,they'll catch Charles,they will,and soon we can move on with our lives" Aria soothed.

Within seconds both our phones buzzed.I checked mine first.It was Charles.Aria gave me a knowing look.He had text her too.

"You silly bitches.It's nowhere near over.It'll never be over.Like I said,it's as simple as A,B,C.Charles".

"Why the A,B,C?" Aria asked,looking puzzled.

"Maybe it's a clue?"I suggested.

I walked over to Emily's closet,throwing the door open,and pulling through clothes.

"Ali,Ali,look at the door" Aria ordered,sounding panicked.

I looked at the door of Emily's closet and on it,a red dartboard had been placed,with three darts on it.The darts were holding up pictures.They were pictures of the Fields family,Wayne,Emily and Pam.They all had letters scrawled across them.A for Wayne,B for Emily,and C for Pam.

"As easy as A,B,C" I gasped.

"Pam's next,oh my god,Pam's next" Aria cried.

We ran out of the room  and down the stairs.The police officer that had come into the house earlier,was on the floor unconscious.There was no sign of Pam.Charles had taken her.As Aria tended to the police officer,I went out to the front garden.Charles had left another note.

"Empty Fields.Let's hope the Montgomery's lock their doors-Charles".