Chapter 6:Empty Fields

ALISON

"Emily,can you come here for a minute?" I shouted.I was sitting on the window sill in Emily's bedroom.She had gone downstairs to make us some lunch when I had noticed her mam on the front lawn of my house arguing with my dad.

"Em?Are you ok?".

There was no answer from downstairs.I left her bedroom and ran down the stairs,heading to the kitchen.As I pushed the kitchen door open,a sense of dread filled my body.Emily wasn't in the kitchen.I had a feeling Emily was't in the house at all.It had been a week since her dad's funeral and Emily wasn't in a good way.She had quit her job at The Brew,had deleted all the girls' numbers,and three nights previously,when I had slept over,I had found her,talking to herself at 3am,sat beside the safe were her dads guns were kept,with his jacket draped around her shoulders.She was disconnecting herself from everyone,and it scared me.She wouldn't do anything drastic,would she?I grabbed my jacket from the end of the stairs and ran out the front door.I was stopped in my tracks as,lying on the porch in front of me was a wreath of lillies,with a red envelope resting on top of it.I opened the envelope and took out the card inside.

"Dear Ali,

You think you've won,don't you?You think I'd just go away,didn't you? You're a silly,silly girl,I'm still here,and you're still my doll,bitch.First it was Wayne,and now I have Emily.Soon there will be empty Fields.-A or as you so fondly know me,Charles".

He had Emily.OH MY GOD.NONONONO.I felt so sick.Charles,A,whatever the fuck they called themselves,had kidnapped Emily and they were going to kill her.I ran over to the edge of the porch and threw up in the bushes.

"A,I mean Charles,has kidnapped Emily and is threatening to kill her" I informed Aria after she let me in.I had run over to her house in a state of panic,not knowing where else to turn. Aria had the same reaction as me,she started panicking,falling to her knees and crying,gasping for air.I knelt down beside her,reaching for her hand.We sat together in the quiet,holding hands and wiping tears.We probably should have been pulling our jackets on and racing to the car,to find Emily and confront Charles,but the shock had knocked the wind out of us.Charles had killed Wayne,and now he was threatening to kill Emily.It was terrifying,as somehow,it was different this time,Charles was singling out the inner circle,and I had a feeling he was going to pick us out one by one,until we were all gone,and he had won the game.I turned to Aria,who like me was still crying,tears streaming fast down her cheeks.We knew what we were saying to each other without even speaking.I was sorry,she was sorry,we both wished things were different.

"I'm sorry Aria,I've never been the friend you've deserved".

"I'm sorry too,that we froze you out and convinced everyone you were A,you were really just looking out for yourself and us".

We smiled at each other and then sat in the peace of the silence,breathing,praying,hoping.Aria made tea,and we sat on the sofa,watching old movies.When we finally felt courageous enough,we grabbed our jackets and headed to the police station.As we entered the station,Tanner approached us.

"Girls,how can I help you?"

Aria swallowed hard and reached for my hand,holding on for support.She then took a deep breath.

"We'd like to report a kidnapping.Our friend Emily Fields has been kidnapped.By Charles DiLaurentis".