Chapter 20: With Your Hand In Mine

ALI

*******

 I had spent a large portion of the morning prepping myself for this moment.The moment our tormentor was gone. I watched Ezra's coffin slowly descend into the darkness of the dirt and I reached for Emily's hand.Emily.My saviour in all the madness.Emily who had stuck by me and trusted me wholeheartedly, even when I had abandoned her without a trace, letting her think I was dead.

"Ali,it's over, it's all finally over.We can be free" Emily whispered to me as we travelled back to my house.

"I'd like to make a speech, as twisted as that sounds" Spencer announced as the five of us sat in my kitchen.

"For so many years, I thought that we'd forever have to live under the watchful eye of A, but we're free, although I didn't think freedom would taste so bittersweet.This person, who we all grew to trust, and know, and love, was playing us like dolls. I'm going to miss Ezra, but I'm not going to miss Charles."

I looked to the others, who like myself, had tears spilling down their faces. I placed my hand in Aria's and she squeezed it tightly.She had taken this the hardest and I wanted to be there for her.Spencer looked to her for reassurance that she hadn't overstepped the line.

"You put it so perfectly.Even though Ezra claimed Charles was fake, that wasn't true. Ezra was the fake, and I'm going to miss Ezra, no matter how fabricated he was.I'll miss my version of Ezra, but I definitely won't miss Charles" Aria said as she wiped tears away.

"Seen as everyone is making speeches I'd like to follow suit" I interjected, resting my hand on top of Emily's.

"The five of us have been through a lot. Together and separately, and I'm so thankful that I have had you girls there for me throughout the hell we have suffered.You have stuck with me even though I was an almighty bitch, and I can never be sorry enough. But I have realized how lucky I am to have each of you. Aria, you've shown me that your passion can help you achieve anything.Spencer, you've inspired me to be a strong women.Hanna, you make me smile every time I talk to you.And Emily, you've taught me that with your hand in mine, I can take on the world. That's why I want you by my side all the time.So Emily Fields, please marry me?"