Chapter 19: Dirt Under My Nails

EMILY

The police were removing Ezra's body from the DollHouse when Hanna and Spencer arrived.

"What the hell is going on?" Spencer questioned as she embraced the three of us.

"Ezra was Charles and now he's dead" Ali explained.

"Oh....my....god" Hanna gasped.

"Ok girls, we are going to drive you back to Rosewood and file your statements.It appears that Mr.Fitzgerald took his own life by shooting himself through the heart. We will provide counselling for you if needed" a police officer consoled.

"He killed himself?" Spencer gasped.

Alison glanced quickly at me and then lowered her head.Aria cleared her throat and went to speak but I interrupted her.

"Can we not talk about this right now?" I asked .

***************************************************

It felt like old times again but not in the good way. The same sense of dread hung over the five of us that was there after The Jenna Thing.

"So he didn't kill himself?" Hanna gasped as we sat in my bedroom.

"Would you like to say that any louder?" Aria frowned.

"He wasn't going to just kill Ali, he was going to kill all of us.He had the most terrifying look in his eye, he had lost control and couldn't differ between reality and fantasy. So Aria did what any of us would have done.Aria, in that moment was the bravest person in the world" I said, holding back tears as I reached for Aria's hand.

"When Spence and I decided to come back to visit, we didn't think we'd come back to this" Hanna sighed.

"But it means this is over, right? A is dead, we can live our lives....together" Ali smiled as she reached for my hand.

"Yes, we can finally live a normal life, A free" I answered.

"But when Ezra's funeral happens, he's not the only thing we need to bury.We need to bury this secret as well" Aria warned.

"I just hope I don't get dirt under my nails" Hannah quipped.