The Vampire's Reluctant Bride: chapter-25

Chapter-25

Mia shifted for what seemed like the millionth time to her, unable to sleep in the stifling, humid heat.

She turned again, facing Lucius’ back as he lay on his side of the bed-the unbearable heat had her rejecting any kind of touch. Although once again they were sharing a bed, he could have been her brother (or any other family, for that matter); considering the chemistry they shared.

She sighed as she sat up- it appeared she was going to have to accept insomnia as her partner for the night.

“Can’t sleep?” Lucius’ voice came out of the darkness.

“No, it too hot for slumber... did I wake you?”

He sat up as well, “No, I was already awake; Cariño.”

They sat in companionable silence in the dark for a few minutes before Lucius decided to break the quiet, “If you have nothing better to do, I might have an idea.”

“Uh-huh?”

“Grab your swimsuit?”

“Midnight swim?” she guessed.

“Maybe...” he conceded.

“Okay!” She agreed eagerly.

Frolicking in cool water sounded heavenly!

However, when a few minutes later she went to wear her sandals, he stopped her; saying she would not require them.

“I’m not walking through the forest barefoot, Lucius.” She told him, rolling her eyes.

“Whoever said I’m going to let you walk at all?” he retorted with a chuckle even he scooped her up in his arms.

She squealed, laughing as she proceeded to wrap her legs about his torso to prevent them from flapping uselessly around his knees. All of a sudden she realized that he was sitting, swinging his legs over the balcony railing.

She had not even realized that they had been moving!

She peered down at the dark forest floor below them; gulping uneasily.

She gripped him tighter, “You aren’t seriously planning on jum-”

The rest of her words were swallowed by her muffled yelp as he let go. She opened her eyes again when she felt the soft jerk as he landed, cradling her safely against himself.

“You were saying?” he grinned.

She rolled her eyes at him, relaxing her grip marginally. She regretted it instantly however, when he broke into a run.

“Lucius!”

“What?” he asked.

She heard the smile in his voice and realized that they had stopped; already he was wading waist-deep into the water- still holding her securely.

“Warn me the next time, before you start running with me hanging on for dear life, alright?”

“Did I scare you?”

She looked away, not wanting to admit that his sheer speed frightened the living daylights off her. A persistent finger under her chin forced her to meet his gaze.

“I’m sorry; Mia... I did not mean to frighten you.”

She saw the regret in those dark eyes and decided to change the subject. Splashing him, she jumped out of his arms with a tinkling laugh, “Think you can catch me, Mr. Speed?”