The Vampire's Reluctant Bride: chapter-22

Chapter-22

Recap: The trees towered above and around them, casting green shadows all around. It was a while more before she felt him pause beside her. Following his gaze she turned to face whatever he was looking at.... and never in a thousand years would she have guessed at the sight which greeted her.

*************************************************************************************************************

Ahead of them, high up on a tree sat the prettiest tree-house she had ever seen.

It was a simple structure, no frills whatsoever; but with the wide balcony surrounding the entire structure and huge windows on three sides, it looked rather welcoming. A sturdy staircase wove around the trunk of the tree; making its way all the way to the entrance of the all-wood structure... she wouldn’t even have to risk any swaying rope-ladders to reach the house!

She glanced up at Lucius who was watching her through hooded eyes.

“That’s where we are staying?” she asked hopefully. She was abruptly glad that he had not chosen a showy expensive hotel for their honeymoon. For someone whose origins were irrefutably blue-blooded, Lucius had surprisingly simple tastes.

He nodded slowly, apprehensive about whether she would like it or not.

She glanced around the house- a one room set with a corner serving as kitchen while the lone windowless wall housed the bathroom; before turning to face Lucius. He was still studying her expressions, trying to read them.

“I like it.” She declared.

He smiled- the relief writ large over his face. “It’s just a place I come to when I want to be alone,” he admitted.

“You won’t mind me being here?”

He laughed, shaking his head, “Why would I bring you here if I did?”

She walked out to the balcony. All around her, she could see only trees...the sound of the distant waves a mere murmur.There was not a soul in sight. Nobody to interrupt them. Nobody to bother them. And, nobody to hear the screams...

The sudden, unbidden thought had her stiffening.

Did he bring her here to change her???

“No.”

She whirled around to find him leaning against the door, his face hard.

“I promised I won’t change you unless you wanted me to, Cariño.” He turned and walked back inside...and although he didn’t say it out loud, she heard him distinctly.

 And I keep my promises.

Knowing she would never be able to catch up to him if he chose to walk away, she decided to use another approach.

Lucius; Please don’t go. She thought desperately.

It worked...He paused, although continuing to face away from her. It was more than she had hoped.

She walked up behind him, wrapping her arms around him as she pressed the side of her face against the powerful muscles of his back.

“I’m sorry.” She whispered.

He stiffened, but did nothing to disentangle himself. After a pause, he reached behind him to grab her and pull her so that she was now pressed to his front.

He gently brushed a strand off her face, tucking it behind her ears. Cupping his hands around the back of her head, he bent forward till their foreheads were touching... Staring deep into chocolate pools of her eyes.

“So, what do you want to do now, Cariño?  Catch up on the sleep you missed out on....or head to the beach?”

“Beach,” her answer came out in a breathless whisper, making her blush. She didn’t want to move away from his arms...

Maybe he was listening, or maybe he was as reluctant to move himself. Whatever the reason; he continued to hold her long after she had answered the question... his hands slipping down till they came to rest on her waist. Tugging slightly...Pulling her closer.

And the whole time he continued to gaze into her eyes... a tiny smile brightening his face.