The Vampire's Reluctant Bride: chapter-1

Chapter-1  

[14 years later]

Amelia looked back at the smiling faces of her parents for one last time before getting into the black Alfa Romeo with a sigh. While her betrothed’s family was undoubtedly rich, she would have much preferred a man from a humble background with the ability to sweep her off her feet.

Mentally, she tried picturing her (thus far) face-less fiancé- regal; with a thin upper-lip and greying hair. After all, had his father not declared him mature way back when she was still a mere infant?

 The letters she had received from him were proof enough of his frigid demeanour- polite enough to border on unctuous, they were stiff with formality. Nothing like the warm, mildly flirty and endearingly affectionate letters her friends got from their boyfriends.

Oh, how she longed for one!

She let out small sigh for another shattered dream- due to her engaged status, no boy had even looked her way through her teenage...So much so that she had ended up standing alone like a wallflower at her prom.

And now, she would never know what it felt like to be romanced and courted.

Well, maybe she was being too harsh on him...she admitted miserably, after all; he had volunteered to escort her to her prom- she was the one who refused. She did not want to spend the evening with an old gent while she still had an option. Now, she regretted her decision- atleast that way she would have met him once and not suffered from anxiety like this.

Don’t worry...

The familiar soft voice in her mind startled her, making her blush. How did he know exactly when she needed the comfort of his voice?

I know because I care...

Amelia smiled. This ‘voice’ had been her secret companion for as long as she could remember. The deep baritone was one she did not remember hearing personally, but it was one she knew she would recognize anywhere. The ’voice’ was her friend...so what if it was, and chances of that were high, a figment of her imagination???

This ‘voice’ had guided her through many a peril and a few lonely nights as well. And now, on her way to an uncertain future, she desperately needed his (it’s) support.

I wish you were real. She thought to herself.

Oh, I am real alright, cariño. Trust me...

Then why have I never seen you? She wondered, amused.

You will...Soon...

Amelia felt fresh butterflies fluttering in her stomach...could she actually hope to meet him? A different sort of excitement flooded her- if, and she desperately wanted to believe it- he was real, would he be anything like her imagination? What would he say? Would she even recognize him?

Of course, I will recognize him- she comforted herself- how could I not recognize that voice?

Perhaps Lord Romanowsky-her fiancé, would not be too happy about their friendship...would he be jealous? She wondered idly- she hoped not... she would desperately need a friend if she was to spend the rest of her life married to a grumpy old man.

A sudden thought had colour flooding her cheek- what if their friendship developed into something more? She was fairly certain that she could never fall in love with someone quite as ancient as her fiancé, hopefully-with time, she may grow affectionate, but she would never be head-over-heels in love... So, what if she fell in love with ... her friend- really, how could she have never realized that she didn’t even know his name!

The sudden clang of heavy iron gates being dragged open had her emerging from her silent contemplation. This was it- They had reached.