Kowareta

Reader's POV

Shadow and I hurried to Kid's hospital room. The truth was I had kinda liked him, even if he had treated me like a weakling. But while everyone else looked at me differently because I was blind, his face showed only betrayal and shock. Like I hurt him by not telling him before the others. It had hurt when he took that stab at me for being blind, more than it should have at lease. I had grown up with people teasing me about being blind, guys would play jokes by asking me out to the movies. Girls would ask me how I would ever possibly leave the house looking like I did, then they'd act like they had just remembered about how I was blind and couldn't see how I looked.

Shadow had been a giant help, he had learned how to apply makeup so some of my zits wouldn't show, he learned how to cook so I wouldn't get hurt in the kitchen, he had even taken a few fashion classes and went to the store with me to help me pick out clothes. He had told people he wanted to be a drummer, when in reality he had been sending me messages in Morse Code to help me understand what the teachers were talking about. He read homework out to me and helped me take tests orally.

The nurse lad us in and what I saw made me choke on my own breath.  I barley heard the nurse as she explained that he had fainted from blood loss because he had slit his wrist, she was a weapon, so I didn't expect her to understand. She didn't see what I saw. She saw Kid, who slit his wrist. But what I saw was much worst, much much worse. I covered my mouth as silent tears ran down my cheeks. I turned and bolted out of the room, Shadow on my tail.

"Name what did you see?" He asked. I sat down on a bench in the hall and tried to calm myself down. H-His soul,  stuttered. Shadow sat down and wrapped his arm around my shoulders in a brotherly hug. "Keep calm and explain." I looked up at him, tears still pouring from my cheeks. "Kid's soul, I took a deep breath. Kid's soul is broken."

Shadow's eyes widened, "what do you mean broken?" "I mean it's broken! I snapped, kowareta! There's a huge crack down the middle of his soul! It's barely staying in one peace." Shadow thought for a moment, "I guess that the nurse's theory of Kid being over stressed is out the window." I nodded, no amount of stress could break a soul. Shadow sighed, "what could do that to a grim reaper? A Kishin?" I shook my head, "If a Kishin had somehow get at his soul directly it would have  eaten it without hesitation. It had to be something else." "Or someone, Shadow offered. Maybe someone close to him?"

(Kowareta means broken in Japanese.)

I sighed and walked back into his room, telling Shadow that I just wanted some time alone with Kid. Reaper boy, I thought. Why would you try to kill yourself in the first place? I sat down next to him and stared at his sleeping face. I rested my head on his chest, listening to his slow heart beat. I took Kid's  hand in mine, knitting our fingers together. I put my lips to his ear, maybe he would hear me even though he was in a coma. "Kid, I whispered. Please come back, I want to talk to you. I want you and I to be friends, to be lab partners, study buddies, anything. Just please wake up, come back." Kid didn't  respond. I sighed and stood up, looking around the room I noticed that it wasn't symmetrical. I glanced at Kid and did the one thing that I could think of that might make him happy when he woke up, I made the whole room symmetrical.