Chapter 7 Alagaesia and the Great Dragon Race

There it is! Aaron said Alagaesia! They had left the forest and flown through the night and they had finally made it to the outskirts of Alagaesia. "How far is it to Urubaen?" Mark asked. We're going to stop at the elf city Ellesmera in the forest Du Weldenvarden Bonnita said. "Yeah" Naomi said "But we won't reach their for a while". So I guess we won't land until we get their Dezzi said. So what are we gonna do to pass the time? Traci asked. Clayton suddenly had an idea. He discussed it with Aaron for a moment and Aaron loved the idea. "Dragon Race!" Clayton yelled.

The dragons lined themselves up while they flew. "Okay then, so we all know the rules?" Clayton asked. No magic Dezzi said. "No ramming" Naomi said. "Fire allowed" Mark and Dezzi said. Okay then lets get ready to go! Aaron said. Clayton and Aaron merged their minds. The others did the same. Okay then Traci said Ready...Set...GO!. With their first flap Clayton and Aaron took the lead Bonnita and Naomi were right behind them suddenly Mark and Dezzi started pulling past flapping their wings as quickly as they could. Aaron and Clayton may have had bigger, stronger wings but Mark and Dezzi were smaller and lighter. Suddenly Bonnita and Naomi shot upward on an updraft and without warning a wall of fire appeared in front of Mark, Dezzi, Clayton, and Aaron. The flames didn't hurt them thanks to their wards but they still faltered from the surprise and the heat. Bonnita and Naomi used that moment to shoot down in front of them. Mark and Dezzi began to pull ahead again. Then Aaron and Clayton drew on each others strength as best they could and they began flapping harder and faster and with each flap they got closer and soon they were all neck and neck. They all started trying to deter each other with complex flight patterns. Clayton rolled to the side, trying to get Bonnita and Naomi but they closed their wings and dropped down some then opened their wings back up and started flapping. Aaron released a huge jet of flames at Mark and Dezzi who, in turn, flapped straight down and jumped up higher in the air narrowly missing the flames. Then they lined themselves up again as the great forest came into view. Clayton saw it through Aarons eyes and for a moment they separated their minds. "May the best dragon and rider win!" Clayton yelled over the roar of the wind. Then he melded his mind with Aaron's again Oh the best rider and dragon will win! Dezzi and Mark roared with their minds. They started flapping as fast and as hard as they could. They began to pull ahead. Bonnita did the same they were soon just a few feet ahead of Aaron and Clayton's snout. The forest was soon below them and they saw the Crags of Telnaere and then Clayton and Aaron had an idea they closed their wings and dropped straight for the cliffside. The others did the same but Aaron's size and weight then became the advantage because they fell faster and were soon ahead of the others. Right before hitting the cliff Aaron and Clayton thrust their wings open and landed with a huge thud knocking chunks of rock from the side of the mountain Bonnita and Naomi landed next followed immediately by Mark and Dezzi. They all separated into their separate beings again.

The dragons stood their for a few minutes panting hard as their riders wiped the sweat from their brows. They were wiped out too due to the energy that they had poured into the dragon's bodies. "That was fun" Clayton said. "We'll beat you next time" Mark said smiling. He patted Dezzi and she hummed with content. 

"Well, we finally made it" Naomi said. "Yeah" Clayton said "Ellesmera at last." "This is gonna be incredible" Mark said. Well what are we waiting for? The dragons said and they all headed into the forest.