Chapter 20 The Spine

After leaving Leona lake they continued on following the trail of the Razac. Soon they saw mountains coming up under them. "I think this is the Spine." Naomi yelled over the wind. Aaron and Bonnita began to fly lower and lower until they were turning and rolling trying to avoid hitting anything. Suddenly a fog began to come up from the ground and soon the entire range of mountains was cloaked in mist. "We have to land or else we'll crash!" Clayton yelled. You got it! Aaron yelled in Clayton's mind. The two dragons quit flapping and let themselves glide down until their legs began to brush against the tops of the trees. Hold on! Aaron yelled and then the dragons closed their wings and smashed through the branches and with a huge BOOM they landed on the forest floor. Clayton looked up at the treetops above them "Well we're not getting back out that way". We better make camp Bonnita said. 

Clayton went to look for firewood while Naomi and the dragons got the area ready. When he returned he saw that Naomi was alone. "Where are the dragons?" he asked. "They went hunting" Naomi said. "Okay". Clayton piled the sticks into a small pile in the middle of the clearing and muttered a quick line in the ancient language then watched as flames leaped up from under the twigs. He sat down next to Naomi and they began talking. "I wonder how Aaron and Bonnita are doing with the hunting" Clayton asked. A loud roar sounded off a little ways away and was followed by the shriek of a terrified forest animal. "I guess that answers that" Naomi said. They laughed. 

The dragons soon returned with fresh blood on their jaws and talons. Aaron had three dead rabbits gripped in his front teeth. Thought you might be hungry Aaron said. "Thanks" Clayton said. Soon the meat was cooked and eaten. Clayton picked up a bone that still had some meat on it and threw it to Aaron who happily snatched it out of the as with a loud smack. It began to get colder and colder.  Aaron and Bonnita tried to keep the fire going but it soon ran out of wood to burn and went out. Clayton and Naomi huddled against Aaron and Bonnita. 

When Clayton awoke the next morning and found Aaron's wings wrapped around him like blankets. He looked over and saw Bonnita and Naomi a few feet away. he finally got up and dusted the frost out of his hair. You slept like you had just ran across Alagaesia Aaron said. "Thanks for the help" Clayton said. No problem. Soon Naomi and Bonnita woke up and started talking with each other. "Well I guess we should go back to following the Razac's scent" Clayton suggested. I wish it was that simple Aaron said. But it's not Bonnita added. "What do you mean?" Naomi asked. We lost the scent when we landed.