Reasons Why

"Thank you, Mr Utne. I wish you the best" Johnny finished sharply, snapping the phone off and placing it in his suit pocket. The rest of the team were at Tom T's party in town, leaving him to catch up on UN work. Work he just finished.

He returned to his drink. A triple whiskey. While this might seem odd to anyone else, it was perfectly fine for the alien. Alcohol is ingested alot like a soft drink on his world, as they have a natural immunity to its more...delirious side-effects. It's more like an energy drink or a Coca-Cola to him, he thought as he took a gulp. He was seated by a two-person table in the Ritz's bar and restaurant, a laptop shutting down in front of him and a small notepad and pen just next to it. His jacket was on his chair, and his shirt's top button was undone. He looked out over the River Thames, as cars and the like buzzed throughout the city like electric flies in the London night.

He smiled to himself. His city. His world. Not owned, nor ruled, but his enough to do as he pleased, in exchange for his loyalty. How...barbaric, he brooded, his expression darkening. Like a barbarian hired to protect a merchant's caravan, in exchange for any lady within it. Is that what I'm really doing here. Protecting the world just to indulge myself in everything it has to offer?

He looked down to see the rest of his Circle, wearing loose suits and party dresses, some staggering out of the limousine and clearly drunk. Ellin looked up to see him, and pointed to Isy. The assassin rushed over, but he saw nothing. Laptop under arm and jacket on, Johnny had left the bar.

No, I'm not protecting this world for myself, he thought. I'm doing it for them. Because they took me in as the shy, nerdy kid that they looked down upon (whom also had superpowers from another planet that he didn't tell anyone about for ages).

Because they didn't ask questions.

Because they didn't ask about the ring.