Noble Tragedy

Ceres tugged at his shirt collar awkwardly. The silk was starting to itch at his neck, and was making him rather flustered. He was dressed in a formal-looking black suit and tails with a dark red cravat and dark green shirt- the two signature colours of the Kadillus line. His hair was combed all the way back and had enough hair-gel in it to make a mohawk if it was proper.

But it wasn't, as this was the Kadillus Royal Ball, the biggest event of the year. Noble families across the system gathered in the palace to dance, socialise and bootlick with each other, all in the hopes of securing marriages, alliances or trade agreements. Everyone was here for a reason. Ceres, for example, was here because his father didn't give him any other choice.

He sighed, and watched his brother. Darius was far better at things like this. The charmer, the dancer, the commander, the hero. What girl wouldn't fall for him? Shame he didn't put as much time into his Fiction studies as Ceres and father, or he might actually be more than that. But, he was the older, more famous brother, the one not looked down on like a child, the one who would be king, the one that leads the most powerful star fleet in the whole Navy.

The one everyone loved. He sighed, and poured himself another glass of punch. He had retreated there away fro the others and thus planned to stay there, until a little tap interrupted him. Turning, he was greeted by a friendly face.

Seraphim, his best friend from school, was standing there in a gold and red dress that ended at her knees and flowed out onto the floor slightly. Her flaming, unflayed red hair looked like it was out of a shampoo advert, and was arranged into an elaborate flowing design that cascaded down her back, as though to prevent people from seeing the space of bare skin there that ended at the middle of her spine. Her face was an expression of joy, as though she was amazed that there was some here who she actually knew. Ceres too was smiling, but was somewhat confused.

"Sera! What are you doing here?" Ceres asked, smiling happily.
"I came here with-"
"Her father" a third voice sourly finished, marching up behind Sera, his hawkish face contorted in an mix of anger at Sera's approach and frustration at having to socialise himself with the lower Kadillus son, as though his station demanded better. He too wore a suit in the same colours of Sera, but his hair and eyes were black as night.

"Lord Lonius of House Furna, at your service" he bowed, although the respect from the action was hollow. Ceres bowed as well. The man was the Commander of the military forces stationed on Bastion, the world that was the source of all military munitions production. And one of father's less entertaining council members.

Sera looked down, her previously smiling expression replaced with one of sadness and guilt.

"Sera never told me that she was one of House Furna at school" Ceres stated, making her become even more enamoured with her shoes.

Lonius snorted. "I know, my prince. I instructed Seraphim to not tell anyone, else dishonour fall upon my house" he said, trying to appear cordial as he roughly grasped Sera by the arm, but Ceres put a hand forward. "Well, it's a pleasure to meet you, my lord, but I would very much like to remain with the young Lady Sera" he interjected, to both Lonius' and Sera's shock, taking her hand and pulling her close.

Lonius was the first to recover. "But, my prince, I could not allow you to sunder your honour with...this" he growled, giving his daughter a dirty look. Ceres smiled in exchange, but was quickly escorting the confused the Sera away to the dance floor.

The familiar opening tune of an Eventian couples song began, and dancers rushed to find partners, and it was here that Ceres pulled the protesting Sera, whom was clearly trying to return to her father with a wish to repair things between them tonight.