Secrets to Be Kept

"What?" I asked, irritated. "Nothing happened. I'm pretty sure that either there's something fake about the shell, or -" I trailed off. Or nothing. My thoughts were racing in my head, and they certainly didn't deserve to be in my list of What Could've Happened. The only one approve-worthy was that McKenzie lied, or she didn't know, but I didn't want to think that.

"Um, what do you think the paper said," McKenzie asked nervously, "with, you know, the 'heir' and 'glove' thing? Because there's something really weird that I need to tell you.... I mean, there's this prophecy and this spell and this other thing, but something else too...."

"Don't keep the secrets so much," I interrupted, anxious. "Tell me. What was it?" I was almost peeing in my pants. I hated suspense, and I hated cliffhangers. Even though I create a few by my sentences myself, I just hate it when other people use it.

Finally, McKenzie explained everything. I was at last getting a good, truthful sense of myself.

*~,*~,*~,*~,*~,*~,*~,*~,*~,*~,

There was a bang. A crash in the palace. Normally, little Kimberly wouldn't be afraid of that, but this time it sounded different.

"GO! GO!" her mother screamed, and Kimberly fainted. She was still vaguely aware of everything happening around her, however. The burning scent in the air, not like a warm marshmallow-y smell, but a scent that screamed DANGER. Her older sister frantically trying to rush her and her father out of the building. Her mother, lying unconscious on the wooden floor. Her pearl necklace was right beside her, energy streaming out of it. Another figure that Kimberly could barely make out, carrying her and running.

Everything else then floated. Kimberly started at wonder at her floating mother, almost laughing her tinkling little laugh. But something else happened. Something that if one experienced, one would never forget.

Her older sister never saw her again. Life for everyone was at a dead end, and no bulldozer could change that.

*~,*~,*~,*~,*~,*~,*~,*~,*~,*~,

"I get it," I finally nodded. "But that can't be me. I mean, if it were it would be great and all, and I believe the observations."

"But?" McKenzie pushed me.

"I never said there was a 'but,'" I shrugged, and McKenzie's usually so-so expression became furious.

"How is that possible? You're saying you believe the observations, but there's no 'BUT?!'" McKenzie asked in disbelief.

"Well, yes. I'm still working it out in my head too, weirdo," I comforted, a little non-comforting comfort.

"Why don't you two just get along?" Katie asked, sighing. "I'm tired of this nonsense."

"I'd gladly make it stop if you want me to," Emma offered evilly, pulling out a knife. How does no one see this? I mean, we're only six yards away from the beach?

Which is approximately 24 feet, and who can see that far?

Stupid mind voice. I MYSELF can see that far!

Who else?

Delilah, probably.

Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City?

Shut up. Even though we are in New York City.

I know, right? What a COINCIDENCE!

Don't take advantage of me not believing in coincidences, even though a few have happened lately!

More than a few?

Depends on your definition of few, right?

Yep, I guess. Don't you love that song?