Underground Caves

"Um, just saying, I'm not going anywhere with a bunch of strangers like you," Charlotte refused, crossing her arms.

"This is one tough little chicken," Tara whispered to me once we'd reached Houston (courtesy of Harmony Airlines). "And at least Mom at home didn't need to go with a bunch of strangers."

Mom was very teary-eyed when we got to our house, so we decided to leave once she started a breakdown.

"NO WAY," Charlotte gasped, pointing behind us. A boy with mousy red hair, brown eyes, and freckles raised his eyebrows and opened his mouth, revealing a set of fangs below. "What the heck is that thing!" she shrieked, and he imitated Charlotte's crossing-of-the-arms.

"Seriously, you guys, I'm Collin and I seriously need you to stop shouting," the boy greeted us calmly. Charlotte blinked at least a million times before whispering, "TM sounds creepy."

"Collin, please just go, we're trying to get some work done here!" McKenzie ordered, and Collin rolled his eyes and went out. "How did he get in?" she wondered out loud, and Charlotte repeated the question.

"How did he get in, creepy dude?" Charlotte asked, seeming to be coming to her senses now. I shook my head from that little surprise and replied, "How am I supposed to know, people?"

I looked around Charlotte's house. It was nice, with a thick red carpet scheme and a dark wooded staircase. The floor was purely marble, which showed maybe an inch beneath the carpets, and a purple lamp showered soft purple light among the decor, an expensive Monet painting on the wall and a portrait of a boy slightly older than Charlotte on the shining golden wall. "My dad was an artist, and my brother got the genes by it...that's him on the wall, which my dad painted," Charlotte explained when she saw me looking at the portrait. "He's my full-blooded brother, which is why I think you guys are lying to me, because you aren't bringing him along." I examined the art again and looked at McKenzie.

"We can't, he isn't meant to be in Terra Meridian," she informed, still staring at his portrait.

"Why is everyone always meant to do something and not do what they want?" I prodded, insistent.

"Because everyone has their own place in the world, and prophecies like the Five help make it be possible," McKenzie answered quietly. The room suddenly turned silent, and Charlotte's eyes slipped to me.

She pleaded, "Please. If you know any about my mom...tell me. I can handle it." Her eyes were begging me and I almost wanted to give in, but Blake Moore put a soft hand on my shoulder.

"We can't," he said firmly, and that was the end of our conversation. I sighed and bit my lip.

"Charlotte, your mom was a very special woman and you should appreciate the life she gave you," I breathed.

"Thanks for telling me what I already know," she grumbled. "I'm a horrible artist that's never going to be my dad, and thanks for the offer, but I think I'll pass." She picked up her canvas bag and headed upstairs.

"True, you're never going to be as good at arts and crafts as me," a girl with brown hair and shocking blue eyes sighed dramatically, rolling her eyes. "Also, you want to know how my genius brother Collin got in? Your dad always leaves open the back door. He should take caution in that."

"Katie?" Charlotte gasped. I was surprised to see that Charlotte knew her at all. "Why did your brother have fangs? Was it creepy TM? You used the back door back when we were friends, to throw surprise parties for me!"

"Yeah, back when we used to be friends, but since you gave up your art dreams, jerk, and I was one of the Chic Clique, we're totally not anymore," Katie replied. "Also, before you meddling Terra Meridians  ask, Collin is my full-fledged brother and I am a half-werewolf, girl, three-quarters human and a fourth werewolf. I don't turn into one during the full moon, but I can change into one...AT WILL!"