Maya

I can't sleep. It's nearly two in the morning, and I haven't slept at all. My mind has been racing over the events of today. My father came back. I have a family, a mom, a dad. Brothers and sisters. It's everything I want. Everything I need. I do have Riley and her family,and while that's nice, it's just not the same. I want my own family, a whole family. One that's mine. 

I look at the clock beside my bed. It reads, 2:07. Just great. I have school in the morning. Luckily it's a Friday. But that also means I need to decide if I'm going to go with my dad or not. He leaves today. At six thirty to tonight. 

I get out of bed, knowing sleep won't find me. Grabbing my guitar, I quietly play a song that has been in my head since my dad came back. I start with a soft, slow intro then I begin to sing.

"A million thoughts in my head. Should I let my heart keep listening? Cause up till now, I've walked the line. Nothing lost,but something missing. I can't decide what's wrong, what's right. Which way should I go? If only I knew what my heart was telling me.  Don't know what I'm feeling is this just a dream? Oh oh yeah. If only I could read the signs in front of me. I could find the way to who I'm meant to be. Oh oh if only. If only. Every step,every word. With every hour I'm falling in. To something new, something brave, to someone I, I have never been. I can't decide what's wrong, what's right which way should I go? If only I knew what my heart was telling me. Don't know is what I'm feeling, is this just a dream? Oh oh yeah. If only I could read the signs in front of me. I could find the way to who I'm meant to be. Oh oh if only. If only. Am I crazy, maybe we could happen. Yeah. Will you still be with me when the magic's all run out? If only I knew what my heart was telling me. Don't know what in feeling, is this just a dream? Oh oh... if only yeah.... if only. If only." 

I end the song, and jump when I hear quiet clapping. Turning around, I see Lucas. 

"Lucas, what are you doing here?!"

"I know you. How hard this would be for you. I came to visit, knowing that you would be up."

"A friendly visit at two in the morning? Right. What's bothering you Lucas?"

"Well... I've been thinking about what your dad said. How he wants you to spend the weekend with him...."

"And...?"

"And I don't think you should go. He left you Maya. He could be lying. And he could do it again."

"Lucas it's just a weekend. Nothing more."

"You don't understand. It could be more than just a weekend trip."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean he could be kidnapping you. Tormenting and harassing you."

"He won't."

"How do you know that?"

"I don't, but I can feel in my heart that he's telling the truth!"

"People can be wrong. He LEFT Maya. You can't be sure he won't try to leave again."

"What about you?!"

"Me?"

"You left me. But I felt in my heart that you wouldn't do it again, and here we are. Does that mean that I can't trust you?"

"No of course you can trust me but-"

"But what? I can't trust my own father, but I can trust my boyfriend?!"

"Look you know what, go ahead. Go to Florida. Have your father, but when you get left, don't come crying to me."

"You said you would always be there for me."

"I will be. Just not if you're with him."

"So if I leave..." I slowly,the information seeping into my brain.

"Then I won't be here when you come back." 

"Why! Why can't I have both of you! Why can't I have a good life for once!"

"Because you're not trusting me! You're running off to Florida even though I told you the consequences!"

"Well maybe I did trust you, but now I'm not so sure!"

"Then go! Leave, and know that you have everything you wanted. Obviously you don't want me."

"Lucas wait-"

"No Maya. You made your decision. Now I'm making mine. Goodbye Maya. I will always love you. But it just wasn't meant to be."

He steps foreword, looking at me with sadness in his eyes. He strokes my face with his thumb before giving me a kiss on the lips. Longing and sweet. The final goodbye. Our last kiss. Then he's gone.