Lucas

I walk home, all alone. Not a friend in the world. Maya's gone, and now so are Riley and Farkle because of me. When I get home, I walk in, closing the door behind me. "Lucas honey, is that you?" My mom asks from the kitchen.

 I haven't noticed that I walked the whole 10 miles from the airport to my house. It's 9 in the morning, no wonder my mom's asking who it is. "Yeah mom. It's me." I say, speed walking to the stairs trying to avoid conversation.

Unfortunately she spots me in my teary eyed state. "Oh honey what's wrong? What happened?"

"It's.... it's nothing. I don't want to talk about it."

"Well Lucas. Whatever it is, I'm sure you can handle it." She says, placing a huge stack of waffles with whipped cream on it in front of me. Oh no. Waffles are my favorite and she only makes them for my birthday, Christmas, or if she has bad news. 

"Mom what happened?"

"Well....."

"Come on mom. Just come out and say it." I'm sure it can't be worse than what's already happened.

"Okay. Lucas your father called today." I freeze. My dad hasn't called in two years. Not a word. Nothing.

"He... he wants us to move back to Texas." 

NO!!!! This can't be happening! I can't leave. Even though I don't have anything left that's keeping me here, I don't want to forget. I don't want to forget Maya. She didn't leave me anything to remind her by. I can't leave. Memories fade. I need to stay.

"Lucas?" My mom asks. I've been staring at my waffles wide eyed for about three minutes now.

"What?"

"I forgot to mention... you have a package waiting for you in your room.

"From who?"

"Just.... somebody who you were very close to."

I walk upstairs, and go to my room. When I get there I see Holly sitting in a box on my bed. She meows, walking towards me, knocking over the box. "What are you doing here?" I ask even though I know the answer. I notice a white note that fell out of her box. I open it carefully before reading it.

"Lucas." It says. 

"I know we broke up, and I just wanted to return Holly." 

Return her? Why? She was a gift, one that resembles my love for her.

"I have decided to move to Florida, and it's just another reminder of the love we don't have." 

I knew it. I knew she would move to Florida.

"Please take good care of her."

I always will, I promise.

"Love her, even though you don't love me."

I do though. I love you more now than I ever have. More than you will ever know.

"Thank you for everything, and I'm sorry it didn't work out."

I'm sorry it had to end. It should still be going on. I still love you how can you not see that?

"I guess this is goodbye."

I wish it didn't have to be.

"I hope you have a good life."

I won't because you're not in it.

"Marry someone who treats you better than I treated you."

That's impossible. You're the exact match for me.

"Have kids, and never leave their side." 

I won't leave them...unlike I left you.

"I will always love you in a way."

I will always love you. No matter what.

"But please don't spend your time thinking about me."

I'm sorry, that's the only thing that's impossible for me to do.

"Move on." 

I don't know how I can. If I did it would never be the same.

"Find a girlfriend, go on tons of dates, and when the time comes, ask her to marry you."

I was going to...but then I let her go. And it was the stupidest thing I have ever done.

"Goodbye Lucas."

Goodbye Maya. I will always love you.

"Sincerely, Maya Hart."

Goodbye Maya. Thank you for giving me this letter. I will keep it forever. It's the only part of you I have left. No longer do I have New York, your family, Farkle, Riley.... or you. I let you slip through my fingers like sand and I have regretted it ever since.