Chapter Sixteen

Nekhi was ready. He and YUS were stationed out front of Jo's connects brownstone, that same night that Kennedy had just been there. He was the last take out they had to make, before they would finally go and take down Jo.

It was dark out, but Nekhi wanted to hurry up and get this shit over with. Just in case somebody was watching. He walked up the steps of the brownstone and tried the door. To his surprise, it was unlocked. He motioned for his niggas to follow up and come inside after him. They each took their time to follow Khi into the house, inconspicuously.

Once they were all in the first floor hallway, they paused in attempt to listen for any activity in the house. Everything was still, the place was quiet. Nekhi looked back at his niggas and nodded his head.

They all scattered in different directions throughout the brownstone, looking for Islam. Nekhi, O-Lok and Quameek took off to the upstairs part of the home, each of them running into a different room, guns cocked. The room that Nekhi bust into was completely empty. Nobody was in there and there was also no furniture in this room. He walked back out. He was just about to go check in the room Meek had run into, to see if his young soldier was good. But O-Lok called out. "Yo! Come in here!" he called out from the room he had gone into.

Ready to light fire into anyone's ass, Nekhi rolled up to that room followed by Quameek and the rest of YUS. O-Lok had found Islam and his bitch. Laid up in bed, naked together. With big ass bullet wounds through each of their skulls. O-Lok set his gun down on the dresser across from the bed. He got closer to the two corpses, inspecting them. "Yo, what the fuck?" he asked, after seeing that they were both really dead.
Lok turned to Nekhi and his crew. "Who keeps beating us to these niggas?" he asked. Khi scratched his head. "I don't no, bro. But we gotta get the fuck up outta here," he said, seriously. They ran back up out of the house and got on the road, with O-Lok not even realizing that he had left his gun on that dresser.

Almost on the highway, back toward New York, O-Lok spoke up. "Fuck!" he exclaimed, startling everyone present. "What's wrong?" Static questioned, concerned. O-Lok turned to Nekhi who drove the stolen van that they were squeezed up in. "You gotta turn back around, bro," he told him.

Nekhi gave his bestfriend a bewildered look. "You're buggin'. Turn back around for what?" he wanted to know. "I left a full clip on that dresser!" O-Lok revealed. He was so mad with himself, he couldn't believe he had done some dumb shit like that.

Nekhi groaned in pure aggravation. "I know, bro. My fault, yo," O-Lok apologized, as Nekhi made a swift u-turn. Driving over the speed limit, Nekhi made it back to the brownstone quickly. Only to see about a million cop cars stationed out front.

Police were swarming all over the place, in and out of that brownstone like ants."FUCK!" both Khi and O-Lok exclaimed, simultaneously. "We gotta get the fuck outta here," Fats said from the back. He was right. Nekhi pulled off, heading for New York like his life depended on it.
*****
"Your shit didn't have no bodies on it, though. Right?" Khi asked Lok that night over the phone. "Nah. I mean, it shouldn't have no bodies. I don't think," O-Lok said back. "What you mean 'think'? Come on. Does it have bodies on it or not?" Khi questioned. He heard O-Lok sigh on his end of the phone.

"It shouldn't... unless..." his voice lingered and suddenly Khi understood. That night coming from Tuff City. One of them had indeed taken out Supreme, Jo's hit man. But they didn't know who. They'd never thought they'd have to deal with that night again, until now.

Nekhi slapped his head with his palms. "FUCK!" he thundered. He could've killed O-Lok himself, for being so careless. How the fuck did he leave his gun on Islam's fucking dresser?!
Nekhi looked to his right at Crystal who was up in his face, listening all up in his mouth. Khi gave her an icy glare and then got up, making his way to her bathroom for some privacy. "Do you think it could've been you who shot him that night?" Nekhi asked.