Chapter Thirty Nine

Kennedy watched Jo as he slept. She was disgusted and repelled by him. It was crazy to her how they had started off so happy and so carefree. Their lives together had been great at one point. How did they end up here? Even though she still appreciated Jo very much for the things that he had done for her (shit he had rescued her from a lot), she was just completely over the type of nigga that he was.

She knew she had her ways, but Jo was just grimey and straight up crazy. He wouldn't allow her to leave him and he still put his hands on her from time to time, if she didn't do what he told her. Jo claimed that he did all of this to her out of love.

Kennedy was even more so ashamed of herself for actually staying and continuing to put up with the shit. Since when had she become a Nyasia? She had had her final straw when Jo came clean to her a few months back about what he had done to her little brother.

She knew that she had pretended that she didn't care about Quameek to Jo before, but those weren't her true feelings. Kennedy loved her brother and she had just been being spiteful because she was mad at Meek during the time. Kennedy by no means at all really wanted to see her brother harmed. Especially not by the hands of Jo.

Kennedy shook her head in disdain and then climbed out of the bed. She made her way to the kitchen.

Shortly after Kennedy had fully recovered from what had happened to her, Jo had decided that they needed to move. They now lived out in a house in Pennsylvania. Jo had stated that he wanted to make sure Kennedy was protected. Moving her from the hood was his way of keeping her safe. But still, he had made it a point to not move too far. He hadn't quit the game, so he still wanted to be close to New York.

Kennedy put together a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for her to eat. She was hungry. But not as much as she was lonely. If she could turn back the hands of time, she wouldn't have ever gotten involved with Jo. She realized that she had given up so much. Even though her life before hadn't been very pleasant, getting with Jo had made it all the more worse.

She looked around her house and took note of the expensive paintings that lined the walls. Paintings by artists like Leonardo da Vinci, Picasso, Vincent van Gogh and Bernardino Luini. The Italian leather couches. Flat screens in each room. The California king sized bed in her bedroom with Jo. The old and expensive antiques for decoration. It was all great, but look at the cost she had to pay to obtain all of that.

The average person would walk by and look at Kenny, thinking "Wow. What a beautiful young woman." And she knew she was. Outside. Lightskinned, long hair, slim and petite. Fly like a Kardashian, her closet was just as big and just as filled as any of theirs. Every piece of clothing she owned was of high quality. Down to her socks and undershirts.

Material wise, Kennedy knew that she was very fortunate. But her soul was very dark and she felt as if she had sold herself over to the devil without realizing. She refused to loose her faith, though. So, Kennedy bowed her head down and said a prayer.

"Dear God. It's me again. You must be tired of hearing me coming to you for guidance. You would think that after doing wrong things over and over again, missing out on blessings... You would think that I have learned my lesson. I clearly have not. Please forgive me for valuing what does not matter. Please help me to forgive myself for the bad I have done. The hurt I've caused to those who love me. Please let them find it in their hearts to forgive me, too. I don't mean to be a bad person. I don't WANT to be a bad person. I know in my heart that I'am NOT a bad person. I'm good person, who's just had many bad things happen to me. Give me the strength to accept that. And the courage to get past it all. In your son Jesus's name I pray. Amen," Kennedy prayed. She opened her eyes and lifted her head. She immediately felt better.

"I didn't know you were religious," came a voice from behind her. Startled, Kennedy spun around to find Fury looking at her. She hadn't even heard him come into her house. But she was actually grateful to see him.

Fury had become her only friend over the past several months. Being Jo's partner and protégé, he had moved out to PA as well. He had his own little apartment nearby. Kennedy had started off disliking Fury very much because she felt that he was just obnoxious. He was always around and he always had something to say. But now, it was those two very qualities that kept Kenny going the most.

He was always around, but he always came around at just the right moments. He always had something to say, but everything he said was real. Fury was a deep thinker and a wise nigga; endless conversations with him over the past few months had proved that to her.

Kennedy shrugged. "I wouldn't say religious. I just believe in that higher power," she stated. Fury nodded. "I feel you. We all need something to believe in," he said. Kennedy tossed her sandwich in the trash, after having only taken about three small bites. She was no longer hungry.

"Where's Jo?" Fury then asked. "He's sleep," Kennedy said, motioning her head toward the room in the back. Fury nodded, taking a seat across from Kennedy at the island in the kitchen. There was a pause between the two for a short moment, until Fury cleared his throat and spoke again.

"You know we still looking for those niggas that violated you, Kenny," he said to her. "Ya'll are never gonna find them," Kennedy replied, realistically. She knew that Jo would never figure out about Desmond's people. He didn't even know that Desmond existed. And she didn't plan on telling Jo about them because she did not know what other horrors those motherfuckers were capable of and she was not at all trying to find out. She shuddered thinking about what she had endured, when she had been held in their captivity. Kennedy was lucky to even be alive. She still didn't even completely know how the hell she had escaped.

But whatever the case, she had escaped and she thanked God for that every single night. If that wasn't proof enough that He existed, Kennedy didn't know what was. "Why you say that? We will, it's just gonna take some time," Fury said back. Kenny shook her head. "You're not. And ya'll should just leave it alone. It's all over now. I just want my life to go back to normal," she let Fury know, pouting.

"You know Jo not about to leave shit alone. That nigga was so hurt when he found you like that, Kennedy. You don't even know. That nigga really loves you," Fury said. Kennedy snorted. "Ha. Yeah. Sure he does," she said back with an eye roll. Fury looked at Kennedy, amused by her reaction. "What? You don't believe that my mans love you?" he asked.

"I don't believe that anyone loves me, Fury. I don't even love myself," Kennedy said. She knew that she shouldn't have been saying things like that about Jo to his right hand. But Kennedy honestly didn't care. She needed to get it off of her chest.

Fury scratched his head, looking for the proper words to say. He knew what was up. He wasn't a dumb nigga, he knew exactly what went on between Kennedy and Jo. But he didn't want to bad mouth his mans, even though he knew that nigga was a looney and was often wildin'.

"Look, Kennedy. I ain't gonna speak too much on my mans behalf. But trust me when I say he loves you. That crazy shit he be doing, the hands, the overprotective shit... He's just scared to loose you. Jo love you, my nigga believe that. It'll get better between ya'll. Watch," Fury said.

Kennedy listened to what he said and took it all in. She appreciated his attempt to try and make her feel better about things because Fury usually knew what he was talking about. Today he did not.

Kennedy knew for a fact that wouldn't shit get better between she and Jo. Too much damage had already been done and Kennedy didn't feel like a married woman. She was here with Jo in this house, playing his wife physically. But mentally and emotionally, Kennedy was not there. At least not with Jo.