Chapter Twenty Six

Tommoi sat in the doctors office, getting checked on. She was definitely pregnant, now confirmed by her doctor instead of a piss stick. Natasha sat by her side rubbing her on her back as she cried. "I can't have a baby," she kept saying over and over.

"Do you want to abort it? You're still very early in your pregnancy. You can have an abortion," the doctor suggested. Tasha looked at Tommoi. "Is that what you want to do?" she asked her younger sister. Tommoi vigorously shook her head no. "I can't kill it. I don't believe in abortion," she stated.

"Then what are you gonna do, sis? You're saying you don't want to have it," Natasha pointed out. "I don't. I want to give it up for a adoption," Tommoi put forth. Tasha's eyes bugged out of her sockets. "Adoption? Tommoi, are you sure?" she asked, showing great concern. Tommoi nodded. "Yes," she said. And she was sure.

She knew that it was going to take a great deal of strength to pull that off and she would probably hate herself for it later on in life, but not more than she would hate herself if she killed her baby or brought it into the world to keep - knowing that she could not care for it.

Dr. Clemmons smiled at Tommoi. "I think that adoption is a wonderful choice, Miss Dennis. I wish more young mothers decided to do go with that instead of abortion," she said. Tommoi gave the doctor a tight smile and nodded. She didn't care too much about what other young mothers decided to do with their wombs. She just knew what she had to do.
*****
After setting up the adoption, Tommoi mentally prepared herself for this long pregnancy and even longer journey. She knew that her life was about to change forever with this choice. She was going to have to go through the rest of her life with her baby in the back of her mind.

Knowing her child was out there somewhere growing up without her, being raised by strangers. Probably hating her. Biting her nails, Moi pushed the negative thoughts out of her mind. This is for the best, she told herself. It will all work out.

Tommoi didn't plan on telling Omar anything. He didn't even know that she was pregnant and she had made Nekhi promise that he wouldn't say anything to him about it. Tommoi knew she had been all the way buggin' the day she'd blurted it out to Khi after Omar had been arrested.

Tommoi couldn't believe that her life now consisted of lies and keeping secrets from loved ones. That had never been her life before. Now, it was like hiding shit was becoming a second nature to her.

Wiping sad tears from her face, Tommoi thought about calling up Nyasia, but decided against it. She hadn't spoken to Nyasia since that day in the supermarket, but by the looks of it - Ny didn't even care. Thinking about that caused Tommoi to cry a little harder. She felt so alone.

How were she and Nyasia not talking anymore? Because of a silly little argument? Tommoi thought that their friendship was much stronger than that. But clearly Nyasia didn't think much of their friendship at all. She hadn't called to check on Tommoi not once. Knowing what Moi was going through. Knowing that she was pregnant. Knowing that her man was locked up. Knowing that she had just lost her mother. And knowing that Tommoi was completely alone. Ny was supposed to be there for her.

Some friend, Tommoi thought. She would have expected something like this from Kennedy, but never from Nyasia.