Chapter Twenty One

Kennedy dressed in a pair of tightly fitting True Religion jeans and an off white colored dress shirt from Zara. She slipped into her black, peep toe, thigh high boots from Neiman Marcus. Kennedy pulled her hair into a high ponytail on top and allowed the bottom half of her hair to hang free. She glossed her lips with some of her favorite Estee Lauder gloss.

Kennedy checked herself out in the mirror and smiled. She looked good. Now, it was time to go. Looking down at her Audemars watch (a men's watch, she loved to wear watches designed for men), Kennedy saw that she had just about 45 minutes to get to the court house. It was Tuesday and she was on her way to Jo's trial.
*****
By the time Kennedy made it into the courtroom, the shit was already packed. She recognized about a million faces, all there to support Jo. The best seats were taken, so Kennedy was forced to sit in the back. But she could still see Jo up front, clearly. He sat next to a woman, who Kennedy assumed was his lawyer.

In the row behind them was Fury and a little boy, who kept leaning forward and talking to them. Jo and his lawyer would turn around to the little boy and laugh or say some quick words. Once the judge walked in though, Jo's lawyer turned around and the told the little boy to "shhh". He hushed up after that.

The bailiff spoke first. "All rise. Department One of the Superior Court is now in session. The honorable Judge Andrew is now presiding. Please be seated," he said. Kennedy took a good look at Judge Andrew. He looked like he had been a felon at some point in life. He better let my baby go, she thought to herself. "Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. Calling the case of "The People of the District of Harlem versus Josiah Graham". Are both sides ready?" Judge Andrew began, after clearing his throat.

As soon as they were ready to officially start, Jo's lawyer got to work. "State your name, please," the judge said to her. "My name is Shaniece Calhoun and today I am defending Mr. Josiah Graham," she announced.

After making a series of valid points about Jo being a friendly man around the neighborhood, a business man and co-owner of "Furious Fly" that had recently been bombed, and having a bunch of witnesses to back her up; Kenny could tell that Shaniece was definitely no amateur. Jo had not been lying in the past when she'd overheard him bragging to people that his lawyer was a beast. He had said that his lawyer could get him out of anything.

Kennedy listened as Shaniece effortlessly went through a handful of questions that the District Attorney threw at her. She answered them all to a perfection, shutting the DA down several times. This bitch is good, Kennedy thought. Shaniece went on to insinuate that the policeman who had pulled Jo over had planted the drugs into the car because he was a racist.

"Your Honor, ladies and gentlemen of the jury: Josiah was unlucky to get pulled over by an officer who simply did not like him, because of the color of his skin. He got pulled over because he fits a stereotype. A young, flashy, black man. So, he must be doing something wrong. Josiah Graham is an honest person and was only trying to get home quickly after a long day. If he knew that he had anything to hide, why would he have pulled over for Officer Larson in the first place? He had been the only officer in attendance. Again, my client is an honest man. Remember that under the law my client is presumed to be innocent.

"The prosecution must prove every part of its case beyond a reasonable doubt - that means that you must be very sure. One of the things they must prove is that my client knew where the drugs came from. My client is the only person who knows the truth, and testified under oath that he did not know where they came from and wasn't even aware that they were in his car.

"The prosecution has presented no real evidence to you to show that this is not true. That means that there is a reasonable doubt and, therefore, you must find him not guilty," Shaniece concluded. Kennedy's heart thudded in her chest when Judge Andrew gave the jury the okay to began deliberating amongst themselves, whether or not Jo should be found guilty.