Chapter Eighteen

"So, next week?" Jo double checked with Shaniece. She had been coming to see him as soon as she had learned that he'd gotten locked up. They'd sit together and try to come up with a plan to get Jo out of there, legally. She nodded. "Yes. Next Tuesday. Don't forget, Josiah," she said to him. Jo was happy that he finally had a court date. He felt like he had been waiting forever.

"How sure are you that you'll be able to get me off?" Jo then asked. "I'm very sure. We have a pretty solid case. Even though they have shit on you, they don't have enough evidence to prove that those drugs were yours. Even though we know they were," Shaniece said, speaking sternly on her last sentence. "But there had only been one cop that arrested you. I'm going to try and make it seem like he planted it there," she explained.

Jo nodded. "Yeah, that sounds good," he said. He trusted Shaniece's judgement. She was a damned good lawyer and she always got his ass off by the skin on his teeth. She always pulled through and came to his aid. Jo loved her for that. "How's my son?" he then asked.

Shaniece gave Jo an irritated look. "He's worried for his father," she told him. "Why would you tell him?" Jo asked. "Why not? Maybe if you stayed out of the streets and stopped getting locked up, I wouldn't have nothing to tell our son," she quipped. Jo gritted his teeth. He hated when Shaniece did petty shit like that. No matter what she said, Massiah didn't have to know that he was in jail.

"Man, whatever," Jo said, waving his son's mother off. He didn't want to argue with her. He had just received some pretty good news and he didn't want to fuck up his good vibe. Shaniece stood up, getting ready to leave. On her way to the door, she stopped. "Oh and your wife called me this morning. I don't know how on earth she got my number," she let Jo know. He winced.

That damned Kennedy. She was so fucking hardheaded. He should have known that she was gonna find Shaniece's number and call her anyway. Even though he had told her not to. "And what did she say?" Jo wanted to know. "Oh, she just wanted to know when was your court date. So, I told her. Guess we'll see her on Tuesday," Shaniece said with a smile. Then, she walked out.

Jo watched after her, angry as hell on the inside. But he contained himself. Shaniece knew exactly what she was doing and she was being beyond immature. He was surprised because she wasn't normally like that. But then again, Jo had never been married.

Jo sighed and braced himself for the drama he knew would soon come. All he could do was pray and hope that Kennedy wouldn't show up to his court date. He knew that was wishful thinking though. She was his wife after all.

Jo wasn't trying to be grimey by keeping his son and son's mother a secret from Kennedy. In fact, many people didn't know he had a kid. And Jo preferred it that way. With the lifestyle he lived, Jo felt as though the less people who knew about Massiah the better. He felt that his son was safer that way. And maybe he was right. At the rate that Nekhi and them seemed to be going, they probably would have taken his son out already.

Fury had told him about Islam and his girl, Charlise, being found shot dead in their crib. Nekhi and YUS were getting bold. So, Jo had ordered his team (through Fury of course) to head back Uptown and take the rest of them niggas out. It was time for them all to go now. They had completely violated Jo's empire and he was mad. He couldn't wait to be let back out onto the street.