Chapter Twelve

There it was. Castus rammed into the room.

I'm not even sure how I recognized him. Over the short span of two years his apparent characteristics had changed so much. He was visibly older now. His skin was darkly tanned, he was a canvas of rippling taut muscle.

An aura of dominion followed him in dark clouds, it was shattering my will to find myself an exit to the situation at hand. It was sinking in. I needed to get away.

He was the leader.

He was the alpha.

He was my mate.

And he was here to kill me.

I shuffled further backwards, finding my knees week and Roy too close to move. He was frozen. He was scared. He had nothing to do with this, he was a little human, he didn't deserve to keep getting crushed by our customs. He had nothing to do with us. I needed to get him out of here.

I fell back into Roy and he gasped as I sprawled out on top of him.

Castus charged forwards, his followers like mere shadows in my eyes as the stalked him in the sile formation. He was like thunder, and he was approaching. His expression more fierce than I'd ever encountered.

"GET OFF HIM!" He screamed.

I jolted but found myself freezing rather than following his orders. I felt Roy shuffle back behind me, and I fell back slightly with him.

"Now!"

I looked up at him. My eyes were wide. My legs jelly.

He growled.

When I say growled, I mean growled. An animalistic growl, one with such ferocity the entire room seemed to shudder, it was a loud, low, resounding growl that made my legs quake. Roy trembled beneath me.

"I-I-..."

He took two large strides forward and loomed over me for a second.

All the breath left me as I gazed up at his formidable, spine-tingling glare.

He reached over to me and suddenly all my senses set back in. I felt my legs presence again and tried to push myself backwards as far away from Castus as I could get. Roy joined me in my scramble for life as he too backed his way up into the wall.

His glare deepened and another growl fell from his lips. A silent warning.

His hand clasped itself around my wrist and yanked me from the floor. I tried to pull back, even though I knew he was the alpha and nothing I could do could overpower him. He simply yanked on my arm and I went flying back into his chest.

I looked into his chest, dazed. Oh god. How was it possible to miss something like this that I'd never even had before. He was so warm, so strong, so safe.

The word 'safe' shook my from my trance. He was not safe. He was danger if the word was named after a person. I needed to remind myself. I needed to remind myself of my rejection so I would not find myself giving in to my wolf and falling for the man again.

I growled and pulled my head forward. I tried to pry his hand off of me with my free left hand yet his body was a rock and would not budge. I transformed the ends of my fingers so I could claw at his skin. His other hand whipped out and took my left in possession.

"Let me go!"

He growled. Once again the sound reverberating through my bones and stilling me for just the second. I watched as his men, ones I did not recognize, crowded into the room. There were a mighty six of them in total. All men I did not recognize with large guard like bodies that had to be the result of protein shakes, strict diets and mass steroid intake.