Chapter Thirty Five

[A/N] People were angry with me for letting Sven top Castus last chapter. I don't understand why people think Sven has to be the dominant wolf to top Castus, dominancy has nothing to do with whether you top or you bottom or female dommes would not exist.

Castus was the figure of calm at my side as we waited patiently for everyone to get ready and shift, he had a possessive arm slung around my side and I could see from the corner of my eye the curious looks we were getting.

I'd never felt as well rested as I did then in my entire life, it was like I'd been awake for days, so long that my mind and my eyes and my bones were exhausted to the point of collapsing and then I slept, slept like the king I felt I truly was, and all that illness and headache was swept away.

Without all of those troubles I felt liberated but to say that that was what made me so happy would be a lie because more than anything it felt like I'd lost a limb, a third arm, but it didn't really make me happy.

What made me feel so weightlessly euphoric was the proud figure of the alpha standing next to me with my mark on his neck.

I thought if I gave in and let him claim me he would have the chance to make me suffer, and this time worse than the first time. I can't imagine the pain he would have put me through if he changed his mind after he marked me, no doubt I would die.

However I had marked him, with my mark on him he would put himself at equal risk doing something like that.

I know for absolute certain that even if times get bad he will stick by me because my bite is an silent oath that he made to me, he will never move from my side. The devilishly handsome man at my side was mine.

When the two girls we were missing came down and shifted I finally felt some of that anticipation twist in my stomach.

 I couldn't wait to finally be back in my wolf skin I missed feeling so free and consequence-less. I wanted to feel my paws on the ground, I wanted to run and run and never stop and feel the wind in my fur and the ground disappear behind me.

The sun glared down on us as we left the wide open door, it was hard to believe all this land belonged to Castus, there was a goddamn forest in it, I had to wonder where he got the money.

Great big fern trees towered over us and the grass eventually grew longer and more wild and unmaintained. The sun threw itself down on the leaves and the beamed with colour. Our path into the woods was chosen at random, we followed Castus unquestioningly, the dark shadows would curl and twist their crooked stick fingers over the natural debris that blanketed the floor.

I loved the feel of the leaves crunching under paw, stopping occasionally just to pounce on a small rodent or growling at the birds just for fun.

When finally Castus came to a halt he barked for our attention.

Just to be clear on this right away we don't bark like dogs who naturally would be our comparisons as we are their animal ancestors, our bark is more of a bark-howl type of thing and it normally means another wolf is trying to warn us.

I brushed up against him as I caught up.

You should be walking by my side.

It was very strange to hear a human voice in my head in my wolf form. Well, no, it was weird to hear any voices in your head that didn't belong to you.

I observed the way his tail was high and his body as tall as it could be, the picture of a dominant wolf.

Technically as a wolf I should be a dominant wolf, despite my sexist upbringing wolves are known for not having a dominant gender, as a wolf the two leaders of the pack are the dominant wolves whether they are male or female doesn't come into play.