Chapter Nineteen

[A/N] If you're my follower you probably know this but my computer got a virus... so I put it in bed for a couple days with a blanket and warm porridge and let it stay home from school.

[Sven's POV]

It was just so calm here, I was soaked in the warmth of the sun and my skin felt soft and sensitive against the dust like sand beneath me. It felt like sheets of silk, warm silk, heated by the sun. And it was dark where I was, even though the sun was shining bright the rest of the sky was dark. The contrast was so beautiful I had to just sit there for a moment and take it in.

But I couldn't stay there forever, I wasn't exactly sure why but there appeared to be an unwritten rule that commanded I stay clear of the silken sands. Decreed that I must return to the ferny grasses of the foggy forest that loomed from behind.

It was weird. The forest didn't belong anywhere near the beach. The grass was too green, too healthy and long. But then again everything seemed to be out of place in the forest. Just looking at it confused me.

The beach was strange itself, but in an oddly beautiful way. Not perfect but the pull towards it was so strong that it almost hurt to keep away.

Yet I managed to force myself forward, away into the forest, daring steps leading me through the giant trees that materialized around me. Objects appeared, I thought nothing of it. What I did notice was the odd colors of the branches, the weird boxy shapes, as though they had been painted by an artist looking through a rain coated window. It looked misshapen and out of place.

An animal bounded towards me, something akin to a deer perhaps, yet in place of antlers it had curved horns, like that of a bull.

It flew at me with such speed and such ferocity, even the wind seemed to fling itself out of the way for it to charge through. The dainty animal seemed wild and untamed, angry and lost in a frenzy that I had somehow brought upon it.

I could see each muscle move like a cog turning as it bounded in my direction, straight for me. The sound of hooves hitting the dry leaves was loud in my ears.

I fell backwards and hit the ground hard, my heart hammered in my chest and the wind seemed to remove itself from my lungs.

What did it want? I just froze.

Suddenly I realized just how alone I felt, how cold it was.

I spoiled myself with the sun and sands, I belong in the wild, I knew how to take care of myself and this animal was merely testing me, seeing if I belonged or if the beach had made me week.

How could I fight it when all I really wanted was to return to the beach.

So long I had warned myself to steer clear, that it would make me seem week and prideless. It would ruin me.

Alas it had called for me and I had come. And now I could no longer resent something that tasted so sweet. You cannot miss what you have never known, now I knew it, I could never be without it.

I moved backwards in a quick decision.

The deer stopped. Halted. Stared at me, huffing through its nose, it then turned away.

And then I noticed I was on the sand again, the forest slowly disintegrating before me.

Oh, the sands. It soothed and healed my fear and, the sun, I embraced the warmth it provided.

I felt the arms tighten around my waist.

I blinked, slowly realizing that my eyes were closed.

My mind felt bright and clear, maybe somewhat hazy after such a good long sleep, but quick witted for once.