Chapter 11: Don't Panic

It was our last day in Hawaii, and I had just taken a delightful hot shower. After pulling on a tank top and shorts, I went to the bathroom to brush and dry my hair. As I was doing so, I kept noticing my faded scars on my wrist. I tried not to look at them. I was wed to Ashley by a diamond-sapphire ring, with two beautiful twin daughters. Why would I want my old life interfering? But then, I thought... When the girls grew up, what would they think if they knew their own mother self-harmed?

I powered off the blow dryer, staring into my eyes. I stared at my reflection forever, till I felt like I was looking at a stranger. Till there were tears in my eyes. Till I felt like screaming. Till I felt like I needed to make my flesh bleed again.

I wiped my eyes, trying to remember what I was doing. I had a small headache, but I figured it was just because of the heated appliances I was using. I carried on and brushed my hair. I felt a weird knot in my stomach, and I tasted a little vomit in my mouth. I ignored my troubles and tried to concentrate on doing my hair.

My symptoms didn't cease. My stomach was turning, and before I knew it, I was vomiting in the sink. After a little while, I stopped, then turned on the tap to rinse out the sink, then grabbed a cup to rinse out my mouth.

After that was done, it took me just until now to realized I had just thrown up. I counted the days on my fingers, then started to panic. "Ashley!" I called.

He came running to the bathroom. "What is it, Zoe?"

I paused, leaning on the sink counter. Then I looked at him. "I think... I think the twins might be having a sibling."