Chapter 16: Night Out

About a month after the trip, the girls were now seven months old. To be honest, we were extremely exhausted. Thankfully, we had friends willing to watch the kids for us at any time.

"Hey Zoe!" Ashley called as he walked into the girls room.

I was just finishing changing the girls. "Yeah?" I said, sitting Skylar down on the floor next to her sister so they could to play.

He came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my hips. "Do you want to go out tonight?" Ashley asked.

I thought about it. "Maybe, why?" I said back to him.

"Just thought we could do something romantic," he said and I could feel a grin on his lips as he kissed my cheek.

I smiled too. "Sure, why not?"

"Great! Andy and Juliet will be here at six."

I looked at the watch on my wrist. "But Ash, it's five."

"Better hurry, then," he said with a grin.

"Fine, but you have to watch the girls till I come back."

He nodded and I walked out of the room beginning to search my closet for something to wear. I pulled out a black dress that was short (about mid-thigh), then I grabbed a blue dress that was a little longer with a black belt. I finally decided on the blue dress and slipped it on. I brushed and straightened my hair so it wasn't so curly. I then applied some eyeliner and some silver hoop earrings. I smiled at how great I actually looked.

Walking out, I saw Juliet in the girls room, holding the girls in her lap on the floor. "Hey Zoe," she said, smiling. "Uhm, Ashley's in the kitchen with Andy."

"Thanks," I said, walking out and into the kitchen. "Hey, guys," I said, walking in.

"Hey babe," Ashley said, walking over to me and wrapping his arm around my waist. He was all ready to leave.

"You guys should get going, you don't want to be late" Andy said.

"That's right," Ashley said, grabbing my hand.

We kissed the girls goodbye and we finally left for our romantic dinner.

I clinked my champagne glass with Ashley's as we toasted to our little date. After taking a sip, I put my elbows on the table, clasping my fingers together as I rested my chin on my hands. I stared into Ashley's eyes and said, "Tonight was just... perfect. Thank you so much."

"It was nothing, love," he said, giving me a grin. "Just figured we needed another time out."

I smiled. "It was excellent. Thanks for everything."

"You're welcome." The bill was dropped at our table, and Ashley paid for it, then we walked out of the restaurant.

I walked with Ashley to our car, holding his hand and resting my head on his shoulder. I smiled, squeezing his hand. "I love you so much."

He kissed my forehead. "I love you too, Zoe."

We both got into the car and set out on the road, heading back to our house. I held one of Ashley's hands in mine as he drove with the other hand. Deciding to break the silence, I said, "I can't wait to see the twins."

Ashley chuckled at me. "We've only been gone for three hours."

"I know," I said. "I still miss them though."

Ashley smiled, looking at me. "I guess it's just maternal instinct. I mean, miss them too, but-"

"Ashley, the road!" I interjected, seeing that there was a car coming out of another intersection.

Our car swerved immediately, eventually regaining a steady pace on the lane again. "Oh, sorry about that," Ashley said.

Still holding his hand, I sighed, then looked at him. "It's okay. It's not like we actually-"

A car speeded towards us from a turn, hitting our car in the direct front. The force of the impact left the windshield in spiderwebs, with shards of glass crackling through. One of the shards pierced my leg, and I screamed out, watching blood start to trickle out of my wound.

I looked over to Ashley. His head was slammed into the steering wheel's airbag. He was unconscious and his nose leaked blood onto the airbag. This couldn't be good.

I unbuckled my seatbelt and screamed for help. But before I knew it, another car hit the back of ours, making my airbag slap me in the face. My vision blurred and dulled. Ashley's hand still in mine, my head sank into the airbag and I passed out.