Singing on the Roof

Chapter 6

Paige’s POV

I woke up to music playing. Wait, my sister is normally asleep now. I sat up and looked around. I’m not in my bed and this is not my room, where am I? I decided to look for the source of the music so I got up and started searching. After walking around I realised I was in camp. I started to climb a ladder which led to the roof. The music seemed to be coming from there. When I reached the roof I saw Marcus sitting there with a radio by the side of him. He was staring out at the city.

“Don’t tell me you been up here all night.” I said walking onto the roof to sit by him. He had no shirt on again but had a blanket around him. He smiled at me and nodded.

 “This is beautiful; I can see why you came up here.” I said. I shivered beside him. It was still dark and really cold so he pulled the blanket of himself and wrapped it around me. I smiled and looked up at him. He always thinks of others.

We both sat there looking off to the distance with music filling the silence. My mind went back to last night, me and Marcus sitting on the floor talking about our lives and our family’s. I found out a lot about him but I know he wasn’t telling me something. I could tell when I asked him if he had any brothers or sisters; he froze and then said he was an only child. What was he hiding?

“I didn’t know you could sing.” He said bringing my attention back to him. I was singing without noticing.

“Just one of my many talents.” I stated. He laughed and turned his body to face me and I did the same.

“Will you sing something else for me.” He asked. He turned off the radio and looked at me intently. I nodded and his eyes glowed like a four year old who had just been given a new toy.

I started singing the first thing that came to my head with Marcus listening to every note. I sang and sang feeling absolutely amazing. It wasn’t like normal when someone asked me to sing and I would run off because of nerves. Here singing to Marcus it was like I was comfortable with it, like I had known him all my life. Why was that exactly? I finished the song and waited to see if he was gonna say anything.

“I’ve never heard that song before, what is it?” He asked.

“It was a lullaby my mum used to sing for me when I was little.” I sighed. I could feel a tear running down my cheek at the memory. Marcus wiped away the tear with his thumb.

“I’m sorry Paige, she would have been proud of you, of the person you’ve become.”

“She would have been proud of my sister; I haven’t done anything that great.”

“You have done so many great things that seem small to you. These things are what have made you so important to every single person down in the camp.”

“You always know how to cheer a girl up don’t you.”

“I do try my best.”

We sat there until the son rose, listening to music and me singing out loud. I knew I had to go back to my apartment soon since Lucy had already phoned my thirty times since yesterday. I didn’t want to leave, to go back to my life of Starbucks and the bar.

.......................................................................................................

A.N 

Hey everbody

This is just a short but cute chapter

Thought it would be nice to read

I think theres a longer chapter next week

Ceryn xxx