Chapter 13

Josiah was exhausted. He finally put the twins to bed for the night. After multiple attempts of trying to climb into the bed with their uncle, the twins were peacefully sleeping in the room Josiah's interior decorator designed specifically for them.

After his shower, he laid across his bed and picked up his phone to dial Ava's number.
Her voice was low and husky as if she had been sleeping.

"Damn, did I wake you?" He asked concerned.

"No..no, you're fine. I was just laying here," Ava lied.

Josiah knew she was lying. He felt bad at first, but soon his shame turned into confidence.

She wants to talk to me. He thought.

"My bad it took so long to call you. Who knew how hard it would be to get two 4-year-olds, jacked up on sugar to sleep." He complained.

Ava laughed. Lucky for him, she was content with his excuse. She actually fell asleep waiting for his call. Ava waited for no man to call but there was something different about Josiah.

"Well, obviously you didn't know, but I think it may be common knowledge not to give children sugar before bed time." She pointed out.

Ava and Josiah spent the next few hours talking on the phone. Each of them shared stories of their day, their childhood, and past relationships.

Ava found that it was quite easy to share her story about Mike being that she'd discussed it earlier with her mom. Josiah didn't seem at all shocked or surprised by her story. He'd heard plenty of similar situations from his teammates. But he was taken aback by the fact that Ava hasn't  been in a relationship or involved with anyone since then. She told him that she's been on dates with other guys but no one has yet to peak her interest.

Ava enjoyed talking to Josiah and sharing her experiences with him. His attentiveness made her feel comfortable and safe enough to become vulnerable. She even let him in about her Dad....slightly.

Josiah shared intimate moments in his life as well, concerning his sister, the twins, and especially, Abuela but he never mentioned his mother and Ava didn't pry.

Like Ava, he too, didn't have many relationships on his resume. He admitted to his player ways but tried to convince Ava it was all in the past. She barely believed him.

Much like the night prior, Ava and Josiah were so engaged in their conversation, they lost track of time and didn't notice they talked until 3 am.

"Look who talked my head off, today," Josiah said jokingly.

Ava looked at the alarm clock placed on her night stand. "Josiah Gabriel! I can't believe you've kept me on this phone all night like a teenaged girl!"

He laughed. "You don't have to deal with two energizer bunnies in the morning!" He combated.

"You're right, I have to deal with and think for irresponsible adults in the morning. I think that's worse!"

"True. You might have me beat," he agreed.

"Good night, Josiah." Ava said in a low tone, not really wanting to end their conversation but knowing it was for the best.

"Night, Ava." He whispered.

The next morning, Ava was giddy. She bounced in the office with a wide grin slapped across her face. The 3 hours of sleep was not going to damper her mood. Ava even curled her hair today. The big, bouncy curls framed her face beautifully.