Chapter 24

Training camp went and gone and now they were well into football season. Ava was having a hard time being away from Josiah but they made sure to FaceTime every night when he wasn't home.

The week before training camp started, Ava and Josiah spent everyday together. They went on dates, had either lunch or dinner, some days both, and made love more times than they could count. He even took her to meet Abuela and boy was she elated. They spoke in Spanish majority of the time, teasing Josiah. Abuela was proud of Josiah and happy to know his fragile heart wasn't at all tainted. She wished the couple her best, whispering to Ava to keep her hijo happy. But deep down inside, she knew Ava would.

The season was going well with Josiah. His performances were making the coaches eat their words. Everyone could tell this was his best season yet, too bad this was the last the Giants would see of him. Josiah did his job, had fun doing it, and left the "getting to know you" activities up to the newbies. He wasn't going to pretend he was happy. The only thing that cheered him up after a long day was a "W" after a game or talking to Ava at night.

Work was going well for Ava, also. Charles was hardly in the office but when he was, he only talked to her about business. The calls every night had stopped, the pointless conversations about her life were over, and the awkwardness had ended.

The firm was expanding thanks to Ava's reputation but that also meant more work for her and the other staff. She and Chanel had barely gotten a chance to have their weekly dinner with Steffanie because they were drowning in work. They were working even when they weren't at work.

Tonight was the first night in a long time the two were free from all work and they decided to have a nice dinner together to celebrate all of their accomplishments thus far.

"I'm sad Steff couldn't make it," Chanel pouted as she handed her menu to the waiter after ordering.

"I know. I've been so busy that I haven't even been home for our Sunday dinners to meet her little boo," Ava said. "But Josiah is coming home this weekend for their bye week, so I was thinking about bringing him along, you know? Letting the family meet him." She shrugged.

"Awww. Yay!! I think that's a good idea!" Chanel excitedly agreed.

"I wish you and Miguel would get it together. Not to say you're not welcomed without him," Ava laughed.

"Ha! Ha! Real funny," Chanel smirked. "But if you must know, we're getting it together. He actually invited me to dinner next Sunday."

Chanel could see the excitement written all over Ava's face, so she quickly added, "As friends! We're just building. Trying to get back to our happy place, you know?"

Ava couldn't contain her excitement. She loved her brother and best friend together. They were perfect for each other and she's never seen either one of them happier than they are when they are with each other. Although, she stayed out of their business, she was always silently rooting for them.

The girls continued to talk as their dinner arrived. They conversed about changes at the firm, ways to make their jobs easier, and their services better. Ava shared her plan of owning her own firm someday, hopefully soon and bringing Chanel along with her wherever she went.

Ava and Chanel finished up their food, paid their bill, and headed toward the valet stand.

The girls continued to chatter in the crisp fall air while waiting for their cars. Chanel's white Acura pulled up and she waited a bit to make sure Ava's car was soon behind hers.

Minutes had gone by and Ava's car still hadn't arrived yet. She was beginning to get irritated.

She stomped over to the valet stand and said, "Excuse me, it's been about 15 minutes and my car still hasn't been brought around. Is everything okay?"