Chapter 4

As Ava pulled into the parking deck of Morrison & Co. Law Firm, she prayed that today wouldn't be awkward. She knew herself, that she could pretend as if nothing happened, she's been doing that her whole life. The uncertainty of it all, was could Charles handle it.

"Buenos días, Señorita Santiago," Hector, the parking garage attendant greeted her.

"Hola, Hector. Ten un buen día," she told him as she entered the elevator. She smiled. Hector's kindness was always a good start to her day.

She took a deep breath as the elevator beeped to signal that she had reached her floor. "Showtime!" She said as she walked off the elevator.

"Good morning ladies," she excitedly greeted Chanel and Sue Ellen, Morrison & Co.'s legal assistant.

"Good morning," they said in unison.

Sue Ellen and Chanel's desk were across from each other on separate ends of the large lobby. Ava walked toward Chanel's desk and leaned over it.

"What you working on, Nelly boo?" Ava asked playfully.

"Nope!" Chanel replied without looking up and laughing.

"What you mean no? I didn't even ask you anything yet!" Ava reached over the desk trying to pinch Chanel's cheeks.

Over the course of Ava completing her internship and living with Chanel, they had become really close. Chanel grew up in foster care because she lost both of her parents in a drug war at the age of 10. She and her father were close, just as Ava and Luiz were. Chanel and Ava connected on so many levels. From fashion to family to interests and life experiences. Chanel had one of the most beautiful souls and faces than anyone Ava had ever known.

"All I can do for you is give you alllll of these messages that were left for you," Chanel laughed and handed Ava a stack of messages from clients that had called for her either late last night or early this morning. It was obvious her clients thought she had no life of her own.

Ava snatched the notes from Chanel. "You suck! That's why my brother dumped you!" Ava said jokingly as she stormed away to her office.

She tried to make it to her office unnoticeably by walking quickly and quietly pass Charles' door but as soon as she reached his office, his door swung open as he escorted the finest man Ava had ever seen out into the hallway.

" And here she is..." Charles said with his voice full of fake enthusiasm. Ava stood there blankly staring at the handsome men that stood in the path to her office.

"Ava, this is Josiah Gabriel." He paused as if she was supposed to already know who this fine, chocolate man was. "You know...the Giant's number one Wide Receiver!"

It clicked. "Ohhh yes, of course. I'm sorry, I'm more of a Jets fan," she said playfully. Ava shook Josiah's hand and boy was his grip firm. He licked his lips and Ava swore her heart skipped a couple of beats.

"Oh are you?" Josiah began. "I guess I'll have to change that this season." They laughed.

Charles cleared his throat. "She's a bit of a jokester but don't worry she gets the job done," he said as he patted Josiah on the shoulder. He turned to Ava, "Josiah arrived at the office looking specifically for you to help sort out a dilemma he's having. He's so hell-bent on you working his case that he wouldn't even tell me about it." Charles laughed.

Ava thought Charles was doing a good job at pretending until she realized he was a bit upset at Josiah's rigid request. Ava thought it was quite funny that Charles was jealous. Serves him right.

"Oh, is that right, Mr. Gabriel? Must be juicy and lucky for you, I have no appointments this morning. Follow me to my office so we can discuss this matter further." Ava began to walk to her office with Josiah close behind. "Thanks, Mr. Morrison. It was nice meeting you." Josiah called out over his shoulder. Ava looked behind her just in enough time to notice Charles' nostrils flaring. She laughed internally. "Yes, thank you, Mr. Morrison." She taunted.