Chapter 33

"Damn it!" Ava grunted as she looked at her calendar.

Here it was, a couple of days away from Valentine's Day and Ava couldn't find a stopping point in her work that would allow her to visit New York to spend the weekend with her man.

Since the New Year, she had been swamped with work. Jason came through on his end of the deal, referring all his clients to her law firm. She'd been working their cases, plus Chanel unwillingly took 2 weeks off in the beginning of the month for her and Miguel's honeymoon. That left Ava with all the work, with a little bit of Steffanie's help.

All this hard work also caused Ava to forget that she hasn't had a period in three months.

Ava sat at her desk with her head in her hands, scanning her oversize calendar that was taped to the surface. She flipped through the months, landing on November. Her last period was in the second week of November. The time she and Josiah had sex after that was on thanksgiving night.

"Damn it!" Ava repeated. It all made sense. She was so busy working to notice before but soon after that she began to feel sick. She blew it off and blamed on the fact that she was working so hard at the firm, in addition to planning Miguel and Chanel's small wedding. She had to work hard to convince them to have a small, intimate wedding but it worked and it was worth the hassle. It turned out to be the most beautiful day ever.

Now that it was over, and she had a grip on the firm's clients, and she didn't have any anxiety about Josiah and the Giants winning the super bowl because they had already lost, she could finally think and get in tune with herself.

On the way home, Ava stopped at the drug store and purchased 3 boxes of pregnancy test. Each box contained 2 tests.

This should be enough. She thought to herself.

Ava dropped her briefcase, grabbed 2 bottles of water and headed straight to the bathroom once she arrived home.

45 minutes and 6 positive tests later, Ava sat on her toilet sobbing.

She couldn't believe it. How could she be so careless? She missed Josiah so much that weekend, she completely forgot to make him use a condom. He obviously wasn't any help either.

Business just started to boom for her. When would she be able to take care of a kid? Josiah didn't even know what team he is going to play for next season, not to mention his constant traveling.

She was looking forward to being an auntie not a mother. What would she tell her family? As the thoughts continued to enter her head, the tears continued to fall from her eyes.

Ava was crying so loudly, Chanel overheard her as she walked by her room and knocked on the bathroom door.

"A? Are you okay?" Chanel asked, concerned.

"Yes," Ava lied through her sniffles.

"Are you sure?" Chanel probed.

"Yes," Ava sobbed.

"Okay. I believe you but can I come in?" Chanel asked.

Ava didn't say anything but Chanel slowly opened the door and crept inside anyway. She saw the mess that Ava created in the bathroom and figured out what was going on before Ava could even tell her. Chanel didn't ask any more questions, she just sat next to Ava on the edge of the tub and rubbed her sister-in-law's back.

After minutes of crying, Ava finally said, "What the hell am I going to do?"

Chanel looked at Ava thoughtfully, "What do you want to do?"

"I want to be successful! I want to live my life! This can't happen now! My life is going to be ruined!" Ava cried. "No offense!" She quickly added.

"None taken," Chanel laughed. She knew Ava was just being emotional. It was only over 4 months ago when she was experiencing the same turmoil.

"This isn't the worst thing that could happen, Ava. You can be all the things you want to be including a great mother. I know it's scary right now. Trust me, I know all too well but with time you'll get used to the thought." Chanel assured her.

Chanel was right. This was an unexpected curve ball that was not apart of the game plan but since when was Ava unable to handle the obstacles life chose to throw at her?

"You're right! Thanks Nel!" She said as she wiped her nose and dried her eyes, before cleaning up the tornado she created in her bathroom.

"I know," Chanel said as she helped Ava pick up the boxes sprawled across the bathroom floor. "You really needed to take 6 tests tho?" Chanel questioned.

"Don't judge me!" Ava snapped.

Chanel threw her hands up in the air. "You got it. I digress," she laughed

The girls went out for dinner and Ava decided to share the news with Steffanie.

"What the hell is in the water?! Keep that shit away from me!" Steffanie exclaimed as she made a cross with her fingers.

Chanel kicked Steffanie from under the table.

"OUCH!" She shrieked. "Why'd you do that?!"

"Thanks for making me feel good, Steff." Ava sighed.

Steffanie leaned over to give her sister a hug. "Aww. No boo, I didn't mean it like that. I'm happy for you guys. I just....I'm just not about that life..... But it's cool, y'all old. It's about time I have some nieces and nephews!"

"Gee! Thanks!" Ava muttered as she pushed Steffanie away.

"Aw. Come on, A. Don't get all emotional on me. I can't deal with 2 hormonal pregnant women. I just can't, y'all. Don't do this to me. Please play nice!" Steffanie pleaded.

The girls laughed and shook their head.

"We'll try!" Chanel said.

The girls finished their dinner without any more baby talk, requested by Ava. She didn't want to think about breaking the news to Josiah. She hoped he would be happy but she wasn't sure. She didn't even know how she felt about it. The last time he mentioned kids was the day after thanksgiving and that was also the last time he mentioned getting married.

The next day, Ava found a way to revamp her schedule and planned to fly out to New York in a couple days for Valentine's Day and decided to break the news to him then. She prayed it went over well.