Chapter 21

Ava woke up from 2 missed calls and 3 text messages from Josiah.

You good?

I hope everything aight. I called you twice to see how your night was and to make sure you got home safe.

Good morning. Kinda worried. Let me know you straight.

It made Ava feel good that he cared about her but she couldn't get past the feeling in her stomach letting her know something wasn't right. She thoroughly enjoyed spending time with Josiah over the course of these past few months but she didn't do drama. She avoided it at all cost and that Jade bitch had drama written all over her. Ava thought about mentioning it to Josiah but what if she didn't like what he had to say? What if she was some old girlfriend that always had a hold on him and he could never cut off? Josiah told Ava that he's never had a serious relationship but either something was seriously wrong with this lady or he was lying. Ava didn't care for either of the two.

She decided to fill the empty feeling in her stomach with something she used to be close to but had recently lost touch with due to her crazy work schedule.

Church.

She decided to surprise her mother in Riverdale and attend church with her. That ought to make her feel better.

Ava didn't want to leave Josiah worrying, so before getting ready she sent him a text.

I'm good. Thanks for asking. I'm going to church with my mom, I'll hit you later.

Seconds later, she received his response.

Aight...

She knew he wanted more but she just couldn't. Not at this moment. Maybe after church if the sermon was able to rid her of this feeling brewing inside of her.

It took Ava about 20 minutes to reach her mother's mansion. And to her surprise, both Steffanie and Miguel's car were parked in front of the house.

Ava  entered her code on the keypad to unlock the door. She called out, "Happy Sunday! Where is everybody?"

Miguel exited the kitchen, eating a green apple. "Look, Ma! The devil came dressed in her Sunday's best. Guess she's going to church with us." Miguel teased as he gave Ava a big hug.

"Ha! Ha!" Ava pretended to laugh at her little brother's joke. "I miss you too, big head!" She told him. "How's everything going?" She asked.

"Everything's been alright. Doing this summer league thing. Ready for the season to start." Miguel told her.

"Already? Take a break. Enjoy the summer." She advised.

"Yea, I will. What about you? What have YOU been up to?" He quizzed.

"Working. Nothing but working!" She sighed.

"Ahh, you work too hard" Miguel said as he pinched Ava cheeks.

Their bonding session was interrupted by their jealous baby sister. "She's lying. She's been partying it up with me, err night!" Steffanie lied. "But even I make it to church on time, every Sunday."

"Who you down here lying too, little girl?" Their mother asked as she descended the enormous staircase.

Cynthia was petite, but voluptuous in all the right places and looked like a goddess walking down the stairs in her off white, custom-made dress and matching hat. Every Sunday, she dressed as if it was Easter Sunday. Her kids always teased her about being the flyest woman at church but she didn't care. Luis loved to dress up fancy on Sunday's, so Cynthia kept up with the act, even after he passed away.