Chapter 30

Josiah stared at Alaina's contact picture, contemplating whether or not to call her. He knew he was being hard on her but it was because he loved her so much and only wanted the best for her. The past few months without talking to his best friend was tough. He needed someone to confide in about the bullshit he was going through and Lainey was always the person he could talk to.

Just as Josiah was about to dial her number, he had an incoming call from Alaina. It was crazy how in sync they were at times. He looked at the phone for a few seconds before answering. Had she finally come to her senses and decided to leave Joe? He thought.

"Yo?" He answered. "I was just about to call you."

"Oh." Lainey hesitated. "Really? Is everything okay?" She asked, concerned.

"Yea, I was just thinking that Abuela needs a break but she told me not to call you so I wanted check in with you and see how things we're going."  He told her. He really did think that Abuela needed a break but he also missed his baby sister. A lot.

"I'm sure she does. And she'll be happy to know that...." She paused. "I've filed for a divorce. For myself and the kids."

"Word?" Josiah asked, shocked. As sad as it was, he didn't actually believe that she would do it. He hoped that she would choose her kids over that piece of shit but he couldn't be sure after what he experienced with their mother.

"Yes. I miss them so much, Siah! This month without holding them have been the worst." She cried. "At first I thought Abuela was just being a bitch but now I understand. Joe isn't the same person he was when I married him and I can't honestly say the twins would have been safe here. I'm not even safe here. I'm sorry for what I've put you all through." She managed to say in between sobs.

"Don't cry, Lainey. I know it was hard but I'm glad you made the right decision. It'll be worth it in the long run. I promise." Josiah consoled his sister.

He wished he was home to be able to hold her how he used to when they were kids. He couldn't wait for this season to be over. His family needed him.

Alaina got herself together and began to catch up with Josiah. She asked about the twins and talked about apologizing to Abuela and staying with her until the divorce was finalized. She also mentioned Ava helping her with this process.

"She misses you, Josiah," Alaina told him.

"Well, she should've thought about that before she lied." He dismissed Lainey's statement.

"We all make mistakes. You know I know this but that doesn't change how she feels about you. And it damn sure doesn't change the way you feel about her!" Lainey reminded him.

There wasn't a day that went by that Josiah didn't think about Ava or wanted to call her but he couldn't bring himself to do it. She lied once, so what would stop her from lying again? He wanted to forgive her but he couldn't find it in himself to forget about what she did.

"I don't know. I think that's a lost cause. I'm not feeling that shit." He said.

"Well, it probably isn't my place to tell you but she's moving to LA next week. I asked her to tell you before she left and she said she would think about it but I guess she decided against it." Alaina told him.

Josiah hesitated. He wasn't sure of how to react but then the thought of never hearing from Ava again, angered and scared him.