Chapter 15

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES HE WANT?!" Ava yelled to herself.

She was not only frustrated that he interrupted her night cap, but also the fact that he has yet to get the point that their relationship is strictly business. No more pleasure.

She answered Charles' first call earlier in the week. It was late but she hoped it was still business related since Chanel already let her know he was out of town with Martha.  He wouldn't call me while his father in law was on his death bed, would he? She thought.

He would.

He tried starting the conversation with small talk. Asking about her cases, congratulating her for successfully meeting her deadlines, and blah blah blah. Then he proceeded to question her about their relationship. Once she stated there was no relationship between them besides a working relationship, he asked about the edible arrangement and her new man.

Still being her boss, Ava respectfully told him it was none of his damn business. She wanted him to leave her alone. Weeks of not speaking to him made her realize she wasn't as invested in him as she thought but it was clear the feelings weren't mutual.

She ended the call by politely demanding that he only call her if it's business related and only during business hours.

Charles waited a night or two before he tried to reach her again. She forwarded his call to voicemail and sent a text:

Business related?

He responded: Pick up the phone!

Is this call business related?

I want to talk.

About?

Us...

Talk to your wife. Good night.

He tried again the next night. This time Ava didn't even bothering texting him after she declined the call. He called back at least two more times and failed to receive an answer.
Ava couldn't understand how hard it was for a married man to accept that his affair was over. She hoped this didn't get messy and she wasn't eager for his return to the office this week.

Ava was consumed in her thoughts the entire ride home. She deleted the notifications of Charles' missed calls and sent Josiah a text thanking him for the night before she fell fast asleep.

Apparently, this weekend was the case of the exes. The exes who wouldn't leave Ava alone.

Saturday night, Ava, Chanel, and Steffanie decided to have a girl's night out on the town. Steffanie was trying to make a name for herself in the fashion and design world so she knew of all the hip and new clubs the girls could go.

The girls made their way to Manhattan's livest hip hip club, 1 Oak. After a couple of winks and Steffanie seducing the bouncer, the girls were granted VIP access, free of charge.

After a couple of dances, the girls made their way back to their secluded table slightly risen above the dance floor, drinking and observing the crowd. They laughed at the numerous men who approached them with their corny pick up lines and horrid outfits.

"You two are the pickiest women alive!" Ava joked.

"Now you know there wasn't anything appealing about any of those niggas!" Steffanie scoffed.

"Well, where the hell are the fine ones?" Chanel asked.

"You've shot them down, too!" Ava laughed.

The girls laughed and continued to peep the scene for prospective men. It seemed as though the later it got, the more packed the club became.

"10 o'clock. At the door..a group of fine men just entered.." Steffanie started. "Oh shi.."