Chapter 16

Ava dreaded going into work Monday morning. She didn't even bother getting all dolled up. She pulled her hair up into a high bun and had on little to no make up. Her lips were lightly glossed and she did take the time out to put on mascara. Her outfit was also as gloomy as her mood. She wore a pair of black, wide legged trousers with a black chiffon shirt, and simple black pumps. And to make matters worse, Hector, the parking attendant who greeted her every morning, wasn't at work today.

Today is going to be terrible, she said to herself.

Ava walked out of the elevator, offering Chanel and Sue Ellen a dry good morning and headed straight to her office without even taking a peek into Charles' office.

She peered out the tall windows in her office, taking in the view. She finally had a chance to take a break in the midst of her hectic caseload and she wanted to do it in solitude, staring off into lower Manhattan.

Minutes later there was a soft tap at her office door.

"Come in," she answered.

It was Chanel with a salad bowl and a bottle of water.

"I figured I would bring you lunch since you've been busy today," Chanel said sympathetically.

Ava smiled and took the food out of Chanel's hands. "Thanks, Nel."

Chanel knew Ava really well. She knew when she didn't want to be bothered and when she needed her space. Today was one of those days. She tried her best to be a great friend to Ava. After all, she and Steffanie were like the sisters Chanel never had but could only hope for. Ava truly appreciated her.

"I know you've been putting this off but it's time to move forward with the Diaz's case. Karla has called at least 3 times today," Chanel informed Ava.

"And just when you think nothing else bad can happen," Ava sulked.

"I know," Chanel paused.

She knew this wasn't really about work. Ava was concerned about her deteriorating relationships. Mike was on her mind, she ended things with Charles, and depending on Karla's reaction, this could be another terminated relationship.

"But if it's worth anything, I think you should do what makes YOU happy and what's best for you. These past couple of weeks you've been elated. Without Charles, without thinking of Mike, and with avoiding Karla. People who are meant to be in your life will always be there." Chanel advised.

Ava smiled. Chanel was right. She couldn't let other people control her emotions any longer. The hell with them. If their relationship has ran its course, then so be it. She had to do what's best for her.

"You're right!" Ava hugged Chanel and thanked her for the pep talk as Sue Ellen buzzed her landline.

"I thought I held all your calls," Chanel said confused.

Ava shrugged as she walked over to her desk to answer the phone. "Yes?"

"You have a visitor at the front desk. Josiah Gabriel." Sue Ellen's voice echoed on the speaker.

Both Ava and Chanel beamed. "Send him in!" Ava commanded. "Wait!! Sue Ellen, count to 100, then send him in."

Sue Ellen disconnected the call. She didn't have time to play Ava's games.

"How do I look??" Ava asked Chanel, panicked.

Chanel chuckled. "You look fine, A. Like you're going to a funeral, but still fine." She joked.

"Ugh! Get out!" She playfully pushed Chanel out the door and whispered, "send him in when you get out there." She closed the door and quickly glanced at herself in the mirror, placing another thin layer or lip gloss over her plump lips.