Chapter 23

Josiah promised Ava all morning that meeting his sister and the twins would go over well. She was nervous and worried about whether or not they would like her.

"A! Cut it out. Trust me, they'll love you!" Josiah said for the 100th time this morning as he waited for Ava to stop pacing and pack her bags.

Their flight was leaving in less than 2 hours and she was still questioning what to pack. Josiah tempted to drag her out the house without any bags but decided against it.

"You keep saying that but you don't know. I'm not really good with kids. I heard they have a sixth sense or something. Like they'll see my demons from my past life." She said, seriously.

Josiah shook his head in frustration. "Really? You know what? You're right, they won't like you if you make us miss this flight and keep them waiting any longer!" He lied.

Ava paused and stared at him in shock. "Oh shit! You're right. Oh my gosh! Okay, I'm coming!" She yelled from the bathroom where she gathered her toiletries.

Josiah couldn't help but laugh. He's never seen her move so fast. It was probably cruel of him to use the source of her anxiety as a ploy to hurry her up, but he was glad it worked. Problem is, Alaina was probably running just as late.

Women.

No more than 10 minutes later, Ava was standing in front of Josiah with more than enough luggage.

"You know we're only staying for a week right?" He asked.

Ava looked at her bags. "Yea. You don't think this is enough?" She asked, concerned.

Josiah grabbed Ava's bags and walked towards the door.

"What?" Ava questioned as she followed behind him.

"Nothing, woman! Let's go!" He demanded.

To Josiah's surprise, Alaina and the twins were already at the gate. Ava knew exactly which woman in the crowded airport was Josiah's sister. Despite the twins hanging from her lap, her looks were identical to his.

Alaina smiled and motioned for the children to look in the direction Ava and Josiah were walking.

Ava's never seen children move so fast. They ran across the airport and reached Josiah before she could blink her eyes.

"Uncle Siah!!!" The twins yelled in unison as they tried to climb up his legs.

"Heyyyyy, kiddos!" He laughed as he tried to keep his balance. It was hard to stand with two little people climbing up your legs while holding a ton of luggage.

Ava giggled at the sight of Josiah struggling. She attempted to take some of the bags as Alaina walked over to rescue her brother.

"Twins, get down!! You're gonna knock your uncle over!" She insisted.

"Aww, but ma!" They cried.

Alaina shot them a look that silenced them both. "Hey bro!" She said as she gave Josiah a hug and kissed him on the cheek.

"What's up, Lainey?" He said as he returned her hug.

Alaina broke free from their hug and turned towards Ava. "And you must be, Ava? It's so nice to finally put a face with your name. I've heard so much about you!! I'm Alaina!" She said excitedly.

"Yes, I am and it's so nice to finally meet you," Ava said as she put her hand out to offer Alaina a handshake.

"Girl! We give hugs around here!" Alaina said as she pulled Ava in for a warm hug.