Chapter 12

Ava was diligently working as her phone vibrated on her desk. She picked it up and read the text message from Josiah.

What's up?  it read.

She had been thinking about him all day. She wanted so desperately to talk to him but refused to reach out first. She simply replied back,  working. you? 

She waited but he didn't respond back as quickly as she did initially. After about 5 minutes or so, Ava decided to continue working but that didn't stop her from glancing at her phone every so often to make sure she didn't miss his text.

Minutes later her phone rang. Ava's heart skipped a couple of beats until she read her mother's name scrolling across her phone.

Uggggghhhhh. She groaned. "Let me just get this over with," she said aloud before answering the call.

"Hola Mamí," she shrieked.

"Don't play with me Ava," Cynthia asserted. "I have been calling you all damn week! Why haven't you called me back or better yet, why haven't you answered any of my calls?!"

Ava could never lie to her mother, even when she was a child. Miguel and Steffanie would get angry with her because she would be the first one to break when they were all in trouble. No questions asked.

She sighed, "Because ma, Steffanie told me about Mike's visit and I didn't want to talk about it. It happened years ago and I'm over it. I just don't want to go back there," Ava admitted.

"I know, baby. But you still should've told me. That's not something that you should have had to go through alone. Although, I see you had Steffanie. Glad she knew and could be there for you." Cynthia remarked with a hint of jealousy.

Ava laughed.

"That's not funny. Why'd you tell Steff and not me?" She muttered.

"Don't start, Ma. I didn't want to taint your perception of him." She paused. "But I do have something to tell you that Steff doesn't know." She boasted, changing the subject.

"What?" Cynthia asked excitedly. She loved when her children let her in on the juiciness of their lives. They were much older now but she wanted to always feel connected to them.

"I went on a date!" Ava squealed.

"Oh really? Tell me more!"

Ava giggled, "well it wasn't a date date.....okay, maybe it was."

She told her  mother about Josiah and how much of a good time she had last night. Ava also warned her not to get too excited because she wasn't sure where things were headed.

Ava and Cynthia talked on the phone for a little while longer giving each other updates before her work phone began to beep. They said their goodbyes and Ava answered her landline.

"Chris is on line one. He says you're not going to believe what he found while decoding Cesar's email account. Want me to send him through?" Chanel said through the intercom.

"I'm not sure if I want to know but put him through anyway."

Chanel laughed. "Sure thing."

"Mr. Tomlin, what's going on? I heard you have some interesting news for me." She teased.

"Oh, do I!" Chris chuckled. "I was searching through Mr. Diaz's email domain and server, you know? All that good stuff you don't care about and noticed something weird. It looked as if Mr. Diaz sent the email to himself, so I dug a little deeper to navigate through the server to find out exactly where and who the email came from and you won't believe who sent the video......Mrs. Diaz."

Ava was shocked. "No way, Chris!"

"Yes, way."

Ava bursted out in laughter. "You have got to be kidding me. She set his ass up!" She laughed uncontrollably. Karla was crazy but Ava didn't know she was THIS crazy. She wondered why Karla just didn't tell her the plan. Probably because she knew Ava wouldn't go along with it but that still didn't stop Ava from feeling like she deserved a heads up.

"Yep, so you might want to call your girl and tell her she's busted." Chris suggested.

Ava was so tickled by the situation she didn't think about how she would confront Karla's crazy ass. She thanked Chris for his hard work and ended the call.

Chanel walked in Ava's office with a questioning look on her face. "Hey!"

"I knew you would be in here soon, nosy."

Chanel plopped down on Ava's couch, sticking her tongue out at her, aware that was one of Ava's pet peeves.

"Yep! So spill it!" Chanel demanded

"You people are going to buy me a new damn couch when that one is ruined!" Ava whined.

"Yea, yea. What happened with Cesar? I bet Karla's crazy ass sent the video." she joked.

Ava looked at Chanel suspiciously. "You've been listening to my calls?" she asked.

Chanel sat up with her mouth wide open."YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!! It WAS her crazy ass!!" Chanel laughed so hard that she could barely catch her breath. "That's your friend, man. That's your friend." She shook her head.

Chanel and Miguel used to date a while back and one night, Ava insisted they all go on a triple date. Miguel and Chanel, Mike and Ava, and Cesar and Karla. Bad idea. Karla and Cesar were sending off negative vibes into the universe with their sharp glares at one another the entire night. Karla was even being passive aggressive toward Chanel. Ava didn't like it.

Later on, Karla disclosed to Ava that Cesar had a crush on Chanel and she found it very uncomfortable sitting at the dinner table with them as they gave each other flirtatious looks all night. Ava was confused. Miguel and Chanel were in their own world the entire night, oblivious to anyone or anything around them. But she didn't argue with Karla, Ava simply acknowledged her feelings and made a mental note to keep them away from each other.

Now, Ava was far from messy but she felt it was important that Chanel was aware of the chaos she had inadvertently caused. Ava did think it was quite funny that Karla was intimidated by Chanel. Chanel was one of the most beautiful people Ava has ever met, inside and out. Her charming personality, her genuine soul, her long legs, slender body, tiny waist, and dark olive skin that is smooth as silk, were plenty of reasons to be jealous....if you were insecure. And despite Karla's exotic looks, she was just that. Insecure.

"Enough!" Ava interrupted Chanel's laughing fit as she reached for her vibrating phone. It was Josiah finally texting back. Ava's face lit up like a Christmas Tree.

"Oh! Who's got stone cold Ava Santiago, cheesing like that?" Chanel teased.

"I am not cheesing! But if you must know, it's Josiah Gabriel!" she boasted.

"If I must know?" Chanel chuckled. "You wanted to tell me! So go ahead. How was drinks last night? Thanks for calling me once you got in." She scolded.

"It was too late. We talked for hours!"

"Baby mama drama?"

"Nope."

"Drug charges?"

"Unh uh"

"Gun charges?"

"No, girl!" Ava yelled.

"Well then, what? You're the one playing the guessing game!" Chanel snapped.

"He's been checking for the kid since the charity event at The Westin." Ava bragged.

"I knew it." Chanel grinned. "I could tell by the way he asked for you. I bet Charles could tell, too." Chanel laughed.

The two friends sat in Ava's office and talked until it was time to go home. Sue Ellen, the legal assistant hated that Chanel and Ava were so close. The girls didn't care or wonder why, their friendship didn't hinder them from doing their work. It actually helped.

"Have a goodnight, Sue." The girls said in unison as they entered the elevator and laughed as soon as the door closed.