Chapter 2 Decisions and Choices

"Mom! Dad!" I shouted. The AC stopped sucking the air out of the room but the doors and the window still didn't budge to open. "Mom! Dad! Somebody!" I banged the door and kept banging it. Minutes passed and my hands were jelly and a bit bruised. I could see streaks of blue and my knuckles begin to turn deep purple. I was in desperation and so I tried once more but again, no one came. This is one strong door. Under any other circumstances, this might be an advantage. I mean, if burglars tried to barge into my room and steal things, they couldn't just pick a lock and opened it. It wouldn't be for anyone else to go in. Or out.

"Iris, where are you?" A distinct voice asked me from the outside.

Oh thank goodness! "Kate! Katy! I'm stuck inside the room! Katy!" I shouted at the door, hoping that my sister would hear my calling.

I could hear faint footsteps behind the door. "What?"

"Open up from the other side!" I shouted.

"Okay." My sister said.

"But be careful! It's a bit stuck so-" and the door opened.

Katy stood there not caring like usual. "Yeah, okay." She replied in monotone. "Oh, and there are people downstairs to see you." She said as her eyes went back to the screen of her phone.

***

I walked to the living room and saw that my parents were with company. Two people sat on the sofa across my parent's. I had never seen them before so I was nervous, having to meet people that I don't know. There was a woman and a man, both around their twenties. The man wore a tux while the woman wore a long sleeved white dress that made them look like couples on their wedding day. My mom smiled at me but I didn't return the smile. I just can't. The man saw me and gestured his arm towards a seat across him but it was too close to the stranger. I sat down next to my parents. My father shot me a glare but I pretended not to see. The man spoke first.

"Hi, you must be Iris. " he offered a hand and I shook it. "My name is Jackson and this is Andrea."

The woman named Andrea smiled and offered her hand and I shook it. It would be rude not to. Both Andrea and Jackson were very formal; the way they talk, their body language, also their appearance. Even with this crazy heat wave they look clean and pristine. Everything about them is perfect and abnormal.

"Iris.. Iris!" a nudge followed. It was my father.

"Huh?" I replied with a shock. I was so focused on Andrea and Jackson that I forgot we were having a conversation here.

My father sighed at me then turned to Andrea to apologize. "I am so sorry. My child may sometimes wander off to another dream place but I assure you" my father looked at me and smiled. "She is who you are looking for."

So they are them.

"Of course, Mr. Paige." Andrea said with a nod. "Iris, what do you think about Arlington Academy?"

Arlington? The second best school in science engineering that I can't possibly afford to go to. I've always wanted to go there but I knew I can't so I stopped dreaming but now it doesn't seem impossible.

"Why are you asking?" I asked.

Jackson and Andrea smiled weirdly at each other. Then they turned to me.

"Because Arlington wants you to be in their academy."

***

Everything in my life led to that moment. My eyes shined and I couldn't speak; no words came out. "A-Arlington wants me?"

Andrea laughed at my reaction as I remained speechless. "Yes, and you would leave by morning if you choose to accept this offering." She said softly.

This is all crazy. I couldn't believe that I had a chance to go to the school. I knew I needed to say yes. My father had agreed with me before that I needed to go and I would.

"Yes." I replied with full certainty.

"Then it's settled. We will pick you up tomorrow at around seven." Jackson said and stood up. Andrea followed. "It has been a great pleasure having to talk to you in person Iris Paige. And you have made the right choice in choosing Arlington."

" Yeah, okay." I said as I shook their hands a good bye. "See you tomorrow. I guess."