Chapter 16 The Ups In Winter

Summer had ended. The sky wasn't shining anymore and the air got colder, basically we were heading for winter but were not quite there yet. The school commenced Winter Protocol where a huge transparent dome, kind of like an invisible force field, covered the school and its ground. Winter Protocol is intended to take care of snow and temperature issues so that warm air stays inside and no one had to worry about cleaning up the snowy mess. Most of the students prefer staying indoors and so did I. Looking outside my window I could see the emptiness of the outdoor ground. I felt like I was being trapped inside an egg with limited ways out but it made me feel safe since it meant limited ways in and I don't want to give any chances for Who to do a second attempt.

Ed and Jeanne helped me with Who. They did their research.

Cash had begun math tutoring. It did help.

I studied hard for the mathematics exam tomorrow. I didn't have high hopes.

All I want is to pass the freaking test.

And I did.

I practically ran through my room's door with bubbles of happiness holding this piece of paper that determined my passing fate for a subject I struggled in. "Cash! Cash look!" my screams filled the rather small room. She was wearing her headphones again with the same loud music blasting from it but I guess my scream was louder than the music being played. She cringed then groaned while dropping her headphones and paused the music. "What?" she said impatiently.

I gave her a wide grin and showed her the paper. My test paper.

"You got a 100." For the first time I saw Cash smiled with satisfaction. I nodded like crazy and burst into a happy laughter. "I know! Thanks Cash, thanks!" I ran over to hug her but stopped abruptly. I realize that a hug would be strange for Cash so I did a high five instead.

"So..." I spoke to relieve the awkwardness. She gave me a slight nod for me to continue. "Does this mean my tutoring is over? Not that I don't like you as a teacher." I may have mumbled that last part.

Cash's smile turned down into her normal carefree look. "I don't think so. It's just one 100."

My smile faded into disappointment. "But.. I'll shorten the tutoring time. And if you can get another score like this on your next test, your free." Cash continued. The news made me jump for joy and lit up a huge grin which made Cash smiled too. I made Cash smile twice and got a 100 on my least capable subject, I have achieved extreme satisfaction! I ran outside to find Jeanne and Ed to tell them this great news!