Chapter 8 Never Judge A Book/Person by Its Cover

I woke up and found Cash asleep and I didn't want to wake her up. I did my morning routine quietly and went outside with uniform for my first real day of school. The uniform consists of three parts: skin colored leggings, a short skirt and a shirt. We also have to wear a tie and white colored socks but any kind of shoes and today I wore my Nike sneakers.

I took my small schoolbag out with needed stationeries and a few notebooks then went straight to my first class of the day. Mathematics accompanied with heavy textbooks.

Fun.

***

Half an hour passed and I still am stuck in Math class. I didn't meet Ed, Jeanne or Liv so I was basically the lone outcast here. The lessons were pretty hard and it's hard for me to follow so I was also the dumbest there too. Lone dumb outcast. What more can a person NOT be.

Math class finally ended and everyone went out. Except me. The teacher, Ms. Fitzgerald knew I didn't understand a thing about the lesson.

"Yeah, but I'm a quick study, don't worry Miss." I said with a smile. Though I'm not sure if what I said was true. Ms. Fitzgerald smiled back.

"Oh, I know you can follow this if you have time." She said. "The problem is that time is limited and we are almost heading to exam seasons so if you can't follow... you'll fail."

I nodded. "So, what? I should get a tutor?"

Ms. Fitzgerald smiled. "That would be my suggestion."

I thought about it for a second. "Okay I guess." I replied.

Ms. Fitzgerald would search for a student to teach me starting tomorrow. "The tutor would do his/her/their lessons on their/my free time, preferably. And it could be done inside an empty classroom, the library or my dorm room." She explained. "Also what would be your dorm room number?" she asked as she went back to her desk and cleaned up a few books.

"Uh.. I'm not sure, wait for a sec." I said as I rummaged my bag searching for my room key. "Oh, 22 on the second floor."

She suddenly looked up."With Cassandra Haize?"

"Who now?" I asked.

"Cassandra Haize. Your roommate I presume. Long red hair with gleaming white skin? If you have not met before." She explained.

I was confused for a while but then I realized that Cash was short for Cassandra.

"Oh.. Cash! Yeah, Cassandra." I answered.

Ms. Fitzgerald smiled again she is shorter than me so she had to reach upwards for my shoulder. She tapped it. "You don't need anyone new. Cassandra may be your new tutor for mathematics."

I burst into laughter hearing the news. "Oh! Oh, you're serious."

Her smile turned into a confused state of mind. "Why would I not be serious? Cassandra had been my number one student every year. You may learn a few things from her Ms. Paige."

She patted my shoulder again then walked away, so did I.

Surprise, surprise I guess.

***

The rest of the day went well, I met Jeanne a few times in class and then had lunch together with Ed and Liv and did not get into any trouble. I had PE and the coach kept an eye on me which was really weird, but otherwise fine.

It was five in the afternoon and I went back to my room to clean up then hang with Liv and Jane. I opened the door and checked around to see if there was anyone else; I prefer not to repeat the disturbing incident that happened as I first walked in here.

I walked inside and saw Cash alone on her bed reading a book, A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking. Cash noticed my staring and put down her book.

"What Iris?" she straightforwardly asked.

"Ms. Fitzgerald talked to me about having a tutor." I spoke.

Cash went back to her book. "So, someone is going to teach you here?" her eyes stayed on the book.

"Uh.. You're my tutor."

Cash smiled. She put the book down and finally is having a conversation with me. "You want me to be your math tutor?"

"Yeah sure." I continued. "Ms. Fitzgerald said you're good and I'm not that good so I need a tutor to make me as good as the good tutor who taught me." I need a second to catch my breath.

"O-Kay?" she answered with her eyebrow rose. I nodded. And that was the first conversation I had with Cash about math tutoring.