Chapter 26

Chapter 26

My eyes stay locked on Tris’s face, peaceful with sleep. I watch the rise and fall of her chest as she breathes. I watch her eyelids flutter and wonder about her dreams. I watch her lips part as she breathes in the same air as me. I could never get tired of this, of her. We talked and talked and talked and I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way. I would ask her questions and she would surprise me with her answers more often than not. Her eyes would light up whenever she liked something. It was cute.

And of course, we kissed. I couldn’t help it. I was just so entranced by her. Every word that came out of her mouth was interesting. I couldn’t take my eyes away from her. And then a lock of hair would fall out of place, giving me the perfect excuse to cup her face with my hand and steal a quick, well most of the time they were quick, kisses. Kisses that plastered a smile onto my face and made me want to kiss her forever.

Eventually she dozed off and I thought of joining her, but I couldn’t. I was just as entranced with her asleep than I was with her awake! She was captivating and alluring and beautiful and mine.

While my eyes gazed at her sleeping form, my mind drifted. I couldn’t help but think about how different my life was a year ago, even just a month ago. It was frightening and exciting how much one person could change you. 

If someone came up to when I was sixteen and told me that I would transfer to Dauntless and fall in love, I would’ve laughed in their face. But I did it. I escaped Marcus. I fell in love.

The sound of people shouting snapped me out of my daze. Figuring they were on their way to the banquet, I realized we would have to leave my apartment in a few minutes. I pressed my lips gently to her forehead, then her nose and finally her lips. She opened her eyes slowly, yawning in the process. I quickly explained that it was time for us to go to the banquet.

I smile as I take her hand and lead her out the door. We walk slowly, not wanting to leave each other’s company, but we both know it’s inevitable. She will sit with the other initiates and I will pretend like I don’t have any feelings for her. I sigh internally, my small faltering for the tiniest second.

When we reach the entrance, I motion for Tris to walk in first. I wait about a minute before I walk in and spot Zeke among the crowd. I grab the chair next to him and sit down. With his mouth full, he holds out a bottle of beer. Swallowing, he says, “Want some?”

I wave it away quickly and steal a glance over to where I think Tris might be. I find her immediately and she looks carefree, talking to some of the other initiates. I relax in my chair and let Zeke bombard me with his chatter, barely listening to what he’s saying. I don’t think he notices though because he keeps talking, only shutting up when Eric approaches the stage and taps the microphone a couple of times. Everyone goes quiet as they wait for him to speak.

Eric clears his throat. “We aren’t big on speeches here. Eloquence is for Erudite.” I harsh laugh escapes my lips at his words, while everyone else just laughs harmlessly. Don’t they remember which faction he transferred from? Or does his cruelty just disguise him as a true Dauntless? I question in my mind. He continues. “So I’m going to keep this short. It’s a new year, and we have a new pack of initiates. And a slightly smaller pack of new members we offer them our congratulations.”

At that, the crowd bursts into a crazy combination of quick yells and fists against the tabletops. The whole compound seems to shake with their enthusiasm and I can’t help but smile.

“We believe in bravery. We believe in taking action. We believe in freedom from fear and in acquiring the skills to force the bad out of our words so that he good can prosper and thrive. If you also believe in those things, we welcome you.” Eric says.

I do believe in them and I smile at the thought. Maybe I do belong to Dauntless. Scratch that. Maybe I belong to the old Dauntless. I believe in everything Eric just said, but does he? Do any of the Dauntless leaders? All around me are cheers and shouts of encouragement.

“Tomorrow, in their first act as members, our top ten initiates will choose their professions, in the order of how they are ranked,” Eric says. And I think for a minute. What will Tris choose? It’s not like we talked about it and suddenly I become very curious. What does she want to do?

“The rankings, I know, are what everyone is really waiting for. They are determined by a combination of three scores- the first…” He drones on about things I’ve heard too many times to count and I stop listening until he says, “The rankings will appear on the screen behind me.”

And then the rankings are being shown. Next to the number one is her… Tris. My heart beats faster as I realize that she will stay. I will stay. We will be together. I search the crowd for my Tris until I find Uriah attacking her with a hug. I feel myself frown at their closeness. Why can’t I run up to her and hold her close to me? Why can’t I show the world that she’s mine?

Without thinking about it, I walk over to where she’s sitting and gently tap her on the shoulder. She turns her head and smiles so big, I can’t help but smile in return. She stands to face me, enthusiasm radiating from her. The ache to hold her close surfaces again.

“You think giving you a hug would give away too much?” I ask her.

“You know,” She says, her eyes gleaming with a sort of eagerness that I can’t place. “I really don’t care.” And then the most miraculous thing happens. She stands on her tiptoes and presses her lips to mine, which are frozen with shock. I quickly catch up with her and soon my hands are trailing all over her cheeks and neck, my lips dancing across hers. There was a warmth brewing in my stomach that I couldn’t quite explain and then it was gone. As were her lips.

My eyes open to find Tris staring back at me with wide eyes. What could she possibly be thinking?

“Tris?” I ask her, not bothering to hide the confusion in my voice.

She shakes her head quickly. “Not now.” She says, her eyebrows pulling together. She looks around, as if just noticing how many people are around us. “Later. Okay?”

I nod once, still extremely confused. What am I missing here? It can’t be about me, right? No…It’s has to be something else. My eyes search her face for any more of an explanation. But all I can register is that familiar determination and something else… fear, maybe?

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Hey guys! Sorry for not updating! Its been a busy week! This is short but its better than nothing right? Well I'll try to update soon!

Leave me some love!!

Thanks 

-Amanda :)