Chapter 12

The potion quickly slips down my throat, burning my lungs, destroying the nerves of my body. I enjoyed the sweeping pain that I felt through my whole body, the agony sweet and somehow painless. I knew that I deserved the writhing pain that I was enduring... It was nothing to what he had to put up with, me being his father. The room began to spin uncontrollably as the air stopped entering my lungs. My end was nigh.
I could see the hands of death picking me up and carrying me before everything went black.

-

White. Bright white. That's all I could see now. The light blinded me. Was this what it was like after death? A big white hall? I squint and try to take in my surroundings. I don't see anything but white at first... But then I notice something in the background. What was it? Not it, I observed but who? As they got closer and closer I realised almost instantly who it was. Lily. My heart pounded in my chest. I felt all of a sudden dizzy and nauseous. I ran as fast as my legs could carry me over to her. Her beautiful red hair bouncing on her shoulders with every step she took. She was an angel in this heaven. I always knew she would be. I grabbed her shoulders and pulled her into a tight embrace.
"How dare you leave me Lily Evans?!" I sobbed into her shoulder. I refused to let her go this time. "I needed you. And so did your son." She pushed me away slightly holding my hands in her soft delicate fingers.
"Our son," she reminded me, "and he has done just fine without me. You have done so much for him Severus and for that I am eternally grateful." I smile slightly at that remark, glad that she had been watching over us both. "But he still needs you. He can't do this without you. There is another war Severus and he can't survive this without you there to help him. The whole wizarding world will need you. Go back now. Turn around and go back." I look into her eyes. She is serious. I don't know why but I believe every word she says to me.
"But what about you. I can't go on without you. I love you." I look to the ground afraid to admit this to her face. I know that she is in love with James.
"And I love you too Severus. You will always have a dear place in my heart. You know that. But right now, I need you to go and look after Harry. Please, for me?" I nod. I always vowed I would do anything for her. And here I was. I grab her once more and pull her into a hug. I have to embrace her once more. I have to. I turn to leave, but she grabs my hand. "Be careful Severus. I will be waiting when the right time comes for you to join me." That's the last thing I hear before it goes dark once again.