Chapter Fourteen

The next morning, Thorin and the Company prepared to depart from  Lake Town.   Madison tried t keep from laughing at Thorin, and his new clothes the Master had given him.  Thorin however, hated it, and grumbled pretty much the entire time about it.   As everyone stepped outside to climb into the boat, the Van Buren Sisters noticed a few people missing. "Where's Bofur, Fili and Kili?" asked Sadie. "Fili and Kili aren't coming with us--at least for the moment.  They will return to the mountain once Kili is healed." Thorin replied.  "Well if they're not going, we're going to stay with them!" spoke up Alexandra.  "I think its for the best you two stay and help Oin with Kili, Oin is staying behind as well!" said Thorin.  Madison didn't like the thought of all of them being left behind in Lake Town, because she knew what would bound to happen in the future, and she worried that they will never make it.  

 "Don't worry, Madison! We will be fine! Just go to the Mountain! Thorin needs you!" said Sadie. "Oh I will! I wish all of you the best of Luck, and tell the same to Kili!" said Madison.  And pretty soon, they set out.    "Does Sadie really have to stay behind?" asked Bilbo.  "Yes she has too. With both Alexandra and Sadie being healers, they can assist Oin with tending to Kili's injuries!" replied Madison.  As they continued to float down the lake, they could see the Lonely Mountain looming over them.  Thrain, whom was sitting in between Balin and Dwalin, looked at his kingdom with teary eyes. "I cannot believe we're really here! Our home!" said Thrain quietly.  Balin smiled as he gently patted the old dwarf's back.   Thorin remained silent during the entire journey as they drew closer to the Mountain.   Later, they reached to the shore, and they climbed out of the boat.  

 It was early afternoon by the time they reached the ruins of Dale, and they stopped for a short break. As Madison wanted to sit next to the dwarf leader, Thorin told her to leave him be while he looked over the map,and Madison walked away.    Madison sat down as she watched Thorin look over the map.  Suddenly, she began to speak to the dwarf through her thoughts.  You have changed, Thorin! You are slowly changing--please fight it--don't become your grandfather! Madison spoke to Thorin through her thoughts. Thorin looked up and stared at Madison, giving her an unreadable expression.  I told you to leave me alone, woman! Can with your your magic talking! Thorin replied back.  After reading the map, Thorin demanded to the Company to look for the side door.  Two hours later, it was Bilbo whom had found the door. "You have keen eye sight, Mister Baggins!"  said Thorin, smiling at the Hobbit.  

 And so they marched towards to where the Hidden Door is located, as Thorin held up the key.  "May those who doubt us, Rue this day!" cheered Thorin, as the Dwarves cheered.  And so Thorin turned to face the Hidden Door and tries to insert the key into the door.  Unfortunately,  nothing happened.  The wall didn't budge an inch, much to the frustration of Thorin and the Dwarves. "Am I missing something here?! I know I did everything right!" said Thorin, loudly.  The rest of the Company remained silent as they looked at Thorin.  "Stand by the grey stone where the thrush knocks--the Light of Durin's Day Shine upon the key hole--the Light of Durin's Day--!" Thorin spoke again, and then he tried the second the time, but still the wall didn't move.  "Fine! We'll just barge the door down!" snapped Nori, as he and Dwalin, and several other dwarves charged at the wall. 

 "I'm afraid we're too late--after all what we've been through--we missed it. Now we have to wait until next year!" said Balin, sadly.    In frustration, Thorin snarled as he slammed both the map and key on the ground and he turned away, following the dwarves down into the crevices of the Mountain. "Wait! You cannot just give up now!!" Bilbo shouted at Thorin and the Dwarves. "I cannot believe that the same dwarf, who led his people in the past has become a quitter!" spoke up Madison firmly.   Thorin turned and glared at Madison and Bilbo, and quickly looked away, as he continued to follow the dwarves.  It wasn't long that night fall came, and the moon came out, as it shown down upon the Mountain.  At the same time, a thrush flew down upon a small stone, as it began tapping on the stone.  Suddenly, the light of the moon shown upon the door.